Saturday, May 4, 2024

Hubbard Hall to receive renovations this summer

More than 10 years after its last renovation, Hubbard Hall soon will receive a partial makeover, which could create something new to look forward to for students who move in next fall.

The MSU Board of Trustees authorized the planning stage for renovations in the residence hall at its board meeting Oct. 30. The construction would take place during summer 2010, said Bob Nestle, a university engineer.

Common spaces on the first floor, such as lounges and the Sparty’s convenience store, are among anticipated areas to be renovated, with a preliminary project cost estimate of $2.6 million.

“We are looking at first-floor renovation, which will include … redoing the lounges so that we create some meeting spaces,” said Vennie Gore, assistant vice president for the Division of Residential and Hospitality Services. “It will be a place where the students will come in and they can come and hang out.”

In addition to lounge improvements, there will be engagement centers and small conference rooms for counselors to have tutoring and academic counseling sessions, Gore said.

Animal science and preveterinary sophomore Stephanie Clarke, a resident of North Hubbard Hall, she said compared to other residence halls, hers could use some renovations.

“It’s kind of boring,” she said. “(Akers’) lounge just seems so much more open, so much more inviting. … The lounges (in Hubbard Hall) need to be more open, it seems like there’s a lot of wall.”

The construction plans still are being discussed, Nestle said.

“We don’t know yet (exactly) what the construction is going to encompass,” he said. “We’re going to be … meeting with housing to get an understanding of what their objectives are in Hubbard Hall.”

These meetings will allow better planning for construction, Nestle said.

“It’s finding out what their objectives are as far as food services … what kinds of spaces they want … what they want them to look like,” he said.

The Sparty’s renovations will incorporate coffee shops with convenience stores, which will create a food platform where items can be cooked for students, Gore said.

Hubbard Hall traditionally has been made up of freshmen with a 12 percent return rate for upperclassmen, and one of the goals of the renovations is to improve retention rates, he said.

Hubbard Hall also is one of the locations for the First Year Experience Program, which is designed to help freshmen with the transition from high school to college, Gore said.

(The first year experience program includes) some intentional programs for academic success and community building and transition for freshmen coming to MSU,” he said.

Predental sophomore Steven Carnaghi is a resident of North Hubbard Hall and said the renovations might be impressive to a new freshman class.

“For incoming freshmen who will be getting a tour, it could be more attractive to them,” he said.

Share and discuss “Hubbard Hall to receive renovations this summer” on social media.