Iota Phi Theta blames players for Rather Hall altercation

Jenrette

Members of Iota Phi Theta, the fraternity involved in a Nov. 22 assault in Rather Hall, formally stated members of the MSU football team were involved in the assault, although university officials and MSU police have not confirmed this.

Last week, two players were dismissed from the football team following reports of the incident.

A statement issued late last week by the national fraternity, which is based in Baltimore, said members of the MSU football team were involved with an incident at The Small Planet, 16800 Chandler Road, and the assault in Rather Hall. It said the fraternity is appalled by the actions of the football players.

Members of the fraternity said they were attacked in Rather Hall after a Nov. 22 event. They also said a fight broke out Nov. 21 at an after-party event hosted by the fraternity at The Small Planet. Mike Krueger, general manager of The Small Planet, said security shut down the event after several people got into a fight on the dance floor.

The statement did not identify the football players involved in the incidents.

University spokesman Terry Denbow said no charges have been filed against any members of the football team or anyone else as of Sunday. MSU police referred all questions to Denbow.

Denbow said if and when charges are made, the university would not comment on the involvement of those charged based on affiliation to a group on campus, such as the football team.

The fraternity’s statement also said the fraternity was disappointed one of the reported assailants was able to return to MSU after assaulting an MSU hockey player.

Sophomore running back Glenn Winston was charged with assaulting MSU hockey player junior defenseman A.J. Sturges in an Oct. 19, 2008, fight. The fight resulted in Sturges’ hospitalization and Winston was sentenced to 180 days in jail. MSU head coach Mark Dantonio reinstated Winston to the team hours after he was released.

Although not named in the fraternity’s press release, Winston has been accused by witnesses of being involved in the Rather Hall altercation. He was removed from the MSU football team’s roster Tuesday, according to a statement from Dantonio.

Junior safety Roderick Jenrette also was dismissed from the team Tuesday and matches a description given by witnesses of an assailant with dreadlocks. The coach’s statement did not cite specific reason for either of the players’ removal.

Share and discuss “Iota Phi Theta blames players for Rather Hall altercation” on social media.