Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Spartans to face Delaware in first round of NCAA Tournament

Field hockey team heads to Virg. for first round games

Head coach Rolf van de Kerkhof explains how his hair was dyed blonde by his players and how it puts the heat on men’s basketball head coach Tom Izzo, who said he’d shave his head if his team won the Big Ten last season but never did it.

Although the No. 6 MSU field hockey team hasn’t been to the national semifinals since 2004, this season’s road to the Final Four begins with a very familiar feel.

The Spartans found out Tuesday they’ll travel to Virginia for the first two rounds of the NCAA Tournament and could potentially face two opponents they’ve played earlier in the season. The road begins with a first round match Saturday against No. 11 Delaware, whom the Spartans defeated 7-2 on Aug. 29 in MSU’s first match of the season.

“That was the first game for both teams and Delaware has done an awesome job throughout the season to get better, like we did, so it’s going to be somewhat of a new game for both,” head coach Rolf van de Kerkhof said. “Both teams will be a lot stronger than they were (in the) opening game, so we have to be prepared.”

If MSU wins Saturday, it will advance to meet the winner of Virginia and Richmond in Sunday’s second round. The Spartans’ 3-0 loss at No. 2 Virginia on Sept. 20 was their only regulation loss of the season, and the lone blemish in their last 13 matches.

MSU players and coaches met inside Breslin Center on Tuesday to watch the unveiling of this season’s tournament pairings. Sixteen teams will begin their quest this weekend to reach the Final Four, which is set for Nov. 20 and 22 in Winston-Salem, N.C.

Delaware finished the season at 14-5 and has lost only three games since Sept. 1. The Spartans check in at 17-3, having recently won the Big Ten regular season and tournament championships.

The Spartans were hoping they might be fortunate enough to play at home for the first two rounds, but were forced to watch as Maryland, Wake Forest and Princeton secured home-field advantage.

No. 1 Maryland is considered the favorite to win its second straight championship. The Terrapins defeated Virginia in overtime to win the ACC championship last weekend, and will face American in the first round.

Although the Spartans know it will be a difficult road, players said the confidence level is high going in.

“We’ve been preparing for this game all season,” junior midfielder Angela Pagura said. “We just ended on a win, so there’s going to be good energy going into it. I’m just excited to get on to the field. We’ll take a good practice this week and get back to it.”

Share and discuss “Spartans to face Delaware in first round of NCAA Tournament” on social media.