MSU seniors prove recruiting predictions not always spot on

The size, speed and strength displayed by high school football players doesn’t always translate to the rugged Big Ten Conference. Sometimes, players live up to those expectations. Other times, they vastly overachieve. The senior class on the MSU football team features both types of players, including one who debunked the very idea of recruiting rankings. Here’s a look at how some of this year’s MSU seniors were ranked as prospects coming out of high school.

Linebacker Adam Decker

Rivals: 2 stars

Scout: 2 stars

Notes: Decker’s career deserves much more than two stars. He started eight games in 2008, and also etched his place in MSU lore with his tackle of Iowa’s Shonn Greene on fourth-and-inches with 2:16 left, preserving an MSU victory last year. He played in 11 of MSU’s 12 games this season.

Danny Fortener

Scout: 2 stars

Rivals: 2 stars

Notes: Fortener is one of many Spartans who switched positions during their careers, and there is no doubt it was the right decision by the MSU coaching staff to move him from wide receiver to the secondary. This season, he started eight games at free safety, finishing with 49 tackles and one interception.

Fullback Andrew Hawken

Rivals: 3 stars

Scout: 3 stars

Notes: Rivals.com ranked Hawken as the fifth best player in Michigan as a high school linebacker, but he shifted to fullback when head coach Mark Dantonio took over before the 2007 season. In the backfield, Hawken has paved the way for All-American Javon Ringer and current freshman standouts Larry Caper and Edwin Baker, also serving as a receiving threat out of the backfield.

Running back A.J. Jimmerson

Rivals: 3 stars

Scout: 4 star

Notes: Jimmerson came out of high school as a top 30 running back nationally, and although he didn’t show that promise in the backfield, he has become a valuable kick returner for MSU. The past two seasons he has averaged 22.7 yards per kickoff return for the Spartans.

Center Joel Nitchman

Rivals: 3 stars

Scout: 3 stars

Notes: Indiana was the only other Big Ten school who offered Nitchman a scholarship, but the 6-foot-4, 296-pound center has made his mark at MSU. A three-year starter, Nitchman has been a key member of MSU’s offensive line since he was a redshirt sophomore.

Kicker Brett Swenson

Rivals: 3 stars

Scout: 3 stars

Notes: Swenson came to MSU as the No. 4 kicker in the nation according to Rivals.com, and will leave MSU as its all-time leader in scoring, field goals and extra points. He also is in the top five in Big Ten history in kick scoring, field goals and total points.

Wide receiver Blair White

Rivals: n/a

Scout: n/a

Notes: White is the poster boy for why the recruiting star system shouldn’t always be taken seriously. Not only was White not given a single star out of high school — he didn’t even have a player page on either Web site. Through hard work and dedication, White became MSU’s go-to receiver the past two seasons, and currently has 110 career receptions for 1,560 yards and nine touchdowns.

Share and discuss “MSU seniors prove recruiting predictions not always spot on” on social media.