Ohio native thrilled recruiting process ended with MSU

Relief and elation: Two things Marcus Rush said he felt after his verbal commitment to join the Spartans’ 2010 recruiting class.

And even as the pressures of choosing a university lift from his shoulders, the 6-foot-3, 225-pound senior defensive end/linebacker from Ohio’s Archbishop Moeller High School has found a new place to apply it — his opponents.

Rush, a three-star recruit according to recruiting Web site Rivals.com, finished the year with 52.5 tackles — 15.5 for loss — 11 sacks, two blocked kicks and two interceptions.

His one-time nationally ranked team finished 9-2, losing in the first round of the state playoffs.

Rush, who lists “win the Big Ten Championship” as one of his future goals in his high school senior profile, will have a chance to do exactly that when he joins the MSU defense — and fellow Moeller alumnus, current MSU junior linebacker Greg Jones — next football season.

The State News spoke with Rush to talk about why he chose MSU and the joys of competition.

The State News Why did you choose MSU?

Marcus Rush I felt real comfortable when I went to up to visit. I love the coaches. I got a good vibe when I was there.

SN How would you describe the coaching staff?

MR They’re real friendly; it felt like they really wanted me there.

SN Where do you see yourself in MSU’s defensive scheme?

MR Pretty much as a pass rusher on defensive line or maybe at linebacker.

SN Do you know Greg Jones?

MR I don’t know him personally, but I did talk to him when I saw him. I never really got to play with him (in high school).

SN Was it helpful talking to him?

MR Just talking to him for a little bit, yeah. You can tell he really likes Michigan State and loves being there.

SN What was it like when you finally committed?

MR I was real excited. It felt really good to commit and be headed to (Michigan State).

SN Strengths and weaknesses?

MR Pass rushing and getting to the ball fast. I would say my weakness is reading my keys.

SN Favorite thing about playing football?

MR The competition. There’s so much competition in every game we play. It is always a good game, always fun.

Share and discuss “Ohio native thrilled recruiting process ended with MSU” on social media.