Icers look to continue hot streak vs. Lake State

Spartans have outscored opponents 20-3 in the last three games

With the No. 9 MSU hockey team clicking on all cylinders in the past three games, and a Great Lakes Invitational trophy to prove it, the Spartans are trying to keep an even keel.

The Spartans have outscored opponents 20-3 in the last three games, along with easily handling the U.S. National Under-18 Team 8-2 Monday in an exhibition.

But with MSU opening up the second half of the season this weekend with a home series against red-hot Lake Superior, who is unbeaten in eight games (6-0-2), the Spartans aren’t letting their heads get too big.

“It’s too early to tell what kind of swagger we will have and how we will play on Friday,” junior forward Corey Tropp said. “Sometimes winning can be your worst enemy. Some guys can get complacent, or as a team you get complacent. You win a couple games here and think no one is going to beat you.”

And that kind of mentality could be costly this weekend, especially with Lake Superior entering the series with just as much confidence as the Spartans.

The Lakers’ special teams play has been a huge key to their success this season. Lake Superior is 23-for-102 on the power play this season, good for first in the CCHA.

But the Spartans are prepared for a special teams battle.

“We are starting to play with a sense of urgency on the power play and penalty kill,” freshman defenseman Torey Krug said. “It’s not out there to make pretty plays. We are just staring to play with a sense of urgency like we have to score goals, because we know that’s what we are going to have to do to win games in the second half.”

Due to a death in the family, the Spartans (14-6-2 overall, 9-3-2-0 CCHA) have been without head coach Rick Comley all week.

Yet MSU associate coach Brian Renfrew said he’s been impressed with the way the team has responded and prepared for the weekend series.

“They’ve done a good job,” Renfrew said. “(Comley) spoke with the captains and I didn’t think we missed a beat Monday. We have a pretty darn good group here. They’ve worked really hard.”

Home sweet home
Six of the next seven games for the Spartans will be at Munn Ice Arena.

Although November was a treacherous month with series against quality opponents, the Spartans are looking ahead to January as a month where they need to take care of business in the home barn.

“These are critical games in our league,” Renfrew said. “November was critical and maybe that was more critical for our own mental makeup to get through that. But I think this month is critical for the future of our season.”

The Spartans are 6-2-2 at home this season, with both losses coming in the College Hockey Showcase against Wisconsin and Minnesota.

“Playing with the home crowd behind you, you have to win games at Munn,” Krug said. “We’ve been really comfortable here. We have to win these games to stay on top of the league and in the national standings.”

Puckhandlin’ Palmy
With the offensive firepower displayed by the Spartans in the last three games, sophomore goaltender Drew Palmisano hasn’t been too busy in the MSU net.

To keep his head in the recent lopsided games, Palmisano has stayed active by playing the puck in the defensive zone.

And the MSU defensemen in front of Palmisano are grateful for his extra efforts.

“It’s awesome,” Krug said. “It definitely makes your job as a defenseman a lot easier. You are able to report to the corner and he can make a pass to you and you can make a quick outlet pass.”

While Palmisano has enjoyed a couple light games, he’s expecting to be busy this weekend when Lake Superior comes to town.

“Probably the most work I got for a little bit there was going to get the handshake after we scored,” Palmisano said. “But coming up it’s going to be a tough stretch and I’m sure I’m going to see more action.”

Share and discuss “Icers look to continue hot streak vs. Lake State” on social media.