Izzo pleased with improvement of inexperienced center trio

Izzo

After three big men from last season graduated, it was clear the MSU men’s basketball team would have a huge hole to fill down low.

Thus far, head coach Tom Izzo has split time at center with freshmen Garrick Sherman and Derrick Nix.

“Those two guys are still on this continued learning stage, but I think they’re both making some progress,” Izzo said.

Earlier in the season, Sherman often got the start at center, but Izzo said Monday that Nix — who has started the last two games — would continue to receive the starting nod.

Being in similar situations — freshmen playing the same position — has helped the two develop a mutual friendship.

“I like the position they’re in and I think they’re helping each other,” Izzo said. “They’re the odd couple, but they’ve become good friends and they’re helping each other out — even with their own free-throw shooting.”

Both had their problems coming in and adjusting to college basketball, Izzo said, but they have been willing to learn.

“When you see a guy making progress, man, that’s fun,” he said. “That’s one of the best parts of my job.”

Junior center Tom Herzog also got into the mix Saturday against Iowa, after Izzo was encouraged by senior forward Raymar Morgan and sophomore forward Draymond Green to play Herzog more.

“I was talking to my staff and I said, ‘You watch him work out and he’s really doing some good things,’” Izzo said.

“Sure enough, two separate occasions within a day and a half, Raymar Morgan and Draymond Green came up to me and said, ‘Coach … I think Tom Herzog deserves a chance.’ I agreed with it.”

Herzog saw valuable first-half playing time in the 71-53 victory against Iowa. He finished with three rebounds in five minutes.

“He struggled a little bit,” Izzo said. “Some guys struggle more in games than practice.”

But despite his inconsistencies in games and lack of playing time, Izzo said Herzog has not given up.

“Boy, I still feel for him because he hasn’t quit practicing,” Izzo said. “If you watch him in drill work, I think he’s as good a post player as we’ve got, period.”

Lucious responds

After the victory against Wisconsin, when Izzo said sophomore guard Korie Lucious wasn’t very effective, Lucious turned in a five-point, five-assist performance against Iowa, much to the liking of his coach.

Once again, Izzo pointed to the valuable workout time Lucious lost this summer while recovering from two foot surgeries.

“For a month and a half, he’s been spending time in here, doing the things he needs to do to make up for the two summers he did nothing,” Izzo said.

“I think that was hard for him to understand that those summers were so valuable until this year, when he saw (junior guard Chris Allen) have a better summer and now he’s having a better year. I think you’re going to see him take big strides here in the next couple of weeks.”

Summers feels better

Izzo said that Durrell Summers’ sore shoulder has gotten better and he expects the junior guard to practice this week.

Summers had three points and two rebounds Saturday.

“Yesterday, he still couldn’t just (rotate it above his head) and it bothered him during the game,” Izzo said. “I wouldn’t say it’s 100 percent, but I’d say it’s a lot better.”

Share and discuss “Izzo pleased with improvement of inexperienced center trio” on social media.