Sunday, May 5, 2024

'Frankenstein' appeals to younger crowd

Based on the Oscar-nominated 1974 cult film “Young Frankenstein” starring Gene Wilder, “The New Mel Brooks Musical YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN” will hit the stage of Wharton Center’s Cobb Great Hall beginning tonight at 7:30 p.m. and run through Sunday.

Robert Roznowski, an assistant theater professor, said the musical has ties to campus as well, with MSU alumnus Carl Pasbjerg acting as one of the show’s producers and a company manager of the production.

The show follows Frederick Frankenstein (pronounced “Fronk-en-steen”) in his attempts to complete his grandfather’s unfinished work of bringing a corpse to life.

Along his journey of scientific discovery, Frankenstein encounters many unexpected obstacles.

However, with the support of his manservant, Igor, and his sexually charged lab assistant, Inga, Frankenstein somehow manages to bring to life his own creation — and finish his grandfather’s life’s work.

The stage production portrays a musical parody of three-time Tony Award winner Mel Brooks’ comedy film that poked fun at the original horror classic.

“I saw it in New York and laughed until my sides hurt,” public relations director for Wharton Center Bob Hoffman said.

The production, similar to the black-and-white flick, boasts itself as a satire and features all the highlights from the film as they originally were directed and choreographed by Susan Stroman and writer Thomas Meehan.

The musical side of the show includes tunes such as “The Transylvania Mania,” “He Vas My Boyfriend” and “Puttin’ on The Ritz.”

Though the film was made in the ’70s, Kent Love, communications director for Wharton Center said its humor remains relevant with students today.

“It’s kind of one of those cult movies that resonates with a younger demographic,” Love said.

“It’s that kind of slapstick humor that a lot of younger people enjoy.”

Roznowski said those people who enjoyed the film and the humor it incorporated likely will enjoy the stage production as well.

“It adheres really closely to all of the original movie script,” Roznowski said.

Tickets will run between $31.50 and $67.50, depending on the seat.

For more information about the production or ticket inquiries, visit whartoncenter.com, or call (517) 432-2000.

Share and discuss “'Frankenstein' appeals to younger crowd” on social media.