FRIB gets $10M in Obama's proposal

The Facility for Rare Isotope Beams, or FRIB, is on schedule after President Barack Obama requested $10 million for the project Monday as part of his 2011 budget proposal, MSU officials said.

The funds, which now are subject to congressional approval, will cover engineering and design costs. The request marks a $2 million decrease from this year’s allotment of $12 million, although FRIB Director Konrad Gelbke said the drop was expected.

Gelbke said the U.S. Department of Energy, or DOE, originally requested $9 million in funding for the 2010 budget, but Congress approved an additional $3 million.

“The $10 million is back to the plan as it was discussed,” Gelbke said. “It doesn’t come as a complete surprise. We’re very pleased.”

The DOE announced in December 2008 that MSU had been selected as the site for FRIB, which will allow researchers to study rare atoms, or isotopes. MSU beat out a federally funded laboratory in Illinois for the $550 million project.

A DOE spokesperson declined comment on Obama’s allocation proposal.

MSU Trustee Colleen McNamara said the $10 million proposal is a sign that the project is continuing despite nationwide economic uncertainties.

“It does reflect that we’re still on the agenda, that nobody’s stopping this and we’re going forward,” McNamara said. “We need those kinds of projects and this is a big one for the state of Michigan.”

Sylvia Warner, spokeswoman for U.S. Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Brighton, said FRIB will bring new jobs and other economic benefits to Mid-Michigan.

“The entire Mid-Michigan community stands to benefit from the $1 billion economic impact to the region and the thousands of jobs (FRIB) will create, not to mention the scientific breakthroughs sure to follow,” Warner said in an e-mail.

Gelbke said the DOE is working on a review to determine what kind of an environmental impact FRIB will have. He said the review likely will conclude sometime this spring.

He also said the university is working on conceptual designs to present to the DOE, as well as other technical aspects. Gelbke said numerous meetings will be held during the year with DOE officials to discuss FRIB’s design and technical specifics.

“The team is just going into a significant, in-depth analysis of developments of what they can pursue here,” Gelbke said.

The facility is scheduled to begin construction in 2012 and completed by 2017.

Gelbke said although he is confident the project will continue on schedule, the future always is a mystery.

“I think things are moving along on track,” he said. “It’s a lot of work one has to do, but we have an outstanding team. We’re doing good as far as I can see it.”

Share and discuss “FRIB gets $10M in Obama's proposal” on social media.