Granholm set to host final state address

Granholm

As Gov. Jennifer Granholm prepares to give her last State of the State address tonight, legislators and members of the MSU community said the governor faces a tough final term.

Granholm will give her eighth and final State of the State address tonight at 7 p.m. at the State Capitol in Lansing outlining, her plans for her final term as governor.

Last year, under her administration, the Michigan Promise Scholarship and 61 percent of additional financial aid funding were slashed. Michigan also boasts the nation’s highest unemployment rate at 14.3 percent.

With an ailing economy and dwindling revenue streams, higher education might see more cuts in Granholm’s last year, said state Rep. Mark Meadows, D-East Lansing.

“How much it will impact higher education I just can’t say at this point because I haven’t seen the numbers out of the school aid fund,” he said. “They talk about a 3 percent cut to the school aid fund, and if that is the case you are likely to see a 3 percent cut to (the) higher education budget, as well.”

The Michigan Promise scholarship was slated to provide about 8,200 MSU up to $4,000 each.

With the Michigan Promise scholarship gone, it is too late for Granholm to redeem herself, advertising sophomore Megan Barry said.

“I’m just ready for her to be out,” she said.

“I’m happy she tried to fight for (the Michigan Promise Scholarship) at least. But obviously it’s gone. That was my main concern.”

Michigan faces a projected $1.7 billion deficit for fiscal year 2011 and Granholm announced a reform plan to counter the deficit Friday, which included a new cost-effective health care plan for state employees, elimination of lifetime health care for state legislators and incentives for 39,000 public school and 7,000 state employees to retire.

Granholm said the plan would save about $450 million in one year.

State Sen. Tom George, R-Kalamazoo, said he hopes to see other reforms similar in Granholm’s last year.

“We are desperate to find ways to save money,” he said. “She has a challenge in downsizing and reshaping government to fit the realities of today.”

State Rep. Rick Jones, R-Grand Ledge, said Granholm’s recently proposed reform plan probably is not a preview of her final term.

“These (were) a start,” he said.

“I am afraid what is really going to happen is she is going to make a few reforms on the surface and then call for massive tax increases.”

A governor’s final term often is a chance to protect the legacy they created while in office, said Rick Cole, chairman of MSU’s Department of Advertising, Public Relations and Retailing and Chief of Staff for former Michigan Gov. James Blanchard.

“Granholm has basically spent the last seven years in survival mode,” he said.

“She hasn’t had as many opportunities as other governors to create programs that now require institutionalizing or legacy programs to protect. My guess is that (she) will just try to hang on until they end.”

The address will be broadcast on Michigan Government Television.

Share and discuss “Granholm set to host final state address” on social media.