Group raises funds to vaccinate Indian kids

Nine MSU students went abroad last summer to Southern India, studied nongovernmental organizations in the area, donated $1,000 to an aid organization and returned home unsatisfied.

The group visited Shanti Ashram, an NGO in Southern India dedicated to developing rural communities, as a part of the MSU College of Agriculture and Natural Resources’ International Development and Markets in India.

Upon hearing of the struggles of Shanti Ashram’s measles vaccination program, they decided they didn’t want the partnership to end with their departure, said supply chain management junior Claire Audette-Bauman.

“We got to know the kids and played soccer with them,” Audette-Bauman said. “It would have been impossible to leave them behind and not do anything about (the vaccination issue).”

Audette-Bauman wasn’t the only group member who felt that way. Inspired by those they had met in Coimbatore, India, the group created MSU Students Advancing International Development, or MSU SAID. With that group came a student-led initiative — ASHA Extended Immunization for Rural Children in India.

The group set its goal high, said adviser Dan Dutkiewicz, aiming to raise funds to vaccinate 8,000 children in South India against measles — a project that required raising more than $16,000.

“This is (the students’) organization,” Dutkiewicz said. “They’ve initiated it and they’re driving it. They’re an incredibly imaginative and dedicated group.”

Dutkiewicz said the students — comprised of summer 2008, summer 2009 and soon-to-be summer 2010 study abroad participants — have raised more than $10,000 in the past four months.
“Paramount Coffee here in Lansing has very generously agreed to rebate $5 for every $10 bag of coffee we sell,” Dutkiewicz said.

MSU SAID members sold 660 bags of Paramount’s coffee and raised more than $4,700 alone in a November to December time period, Dutkiewicz said.

“It’s like being a girl scout,” international relations junior Monika Johnson said, laughing. “We’ve all been (to India) and have met and worked with the people. It’s not like we’re just helping people far, far away. It’s like we’re helping our friends — that’s what makes this organization work.”

Johnson said MSU SAID has organized a lot of small fundraising events, received personal donations toward their campaign and is planning on to hold a gala this spring to reach its goal.

MSU will send 18 students to visit Shanti Ashram this summer as part of a four-week study abroad program to see the results of their efforts.

“This is more than just a group to raise money,” Audette-Bauman said.
“Most people don’t understand measles, so to inform the East Lansing community and campus about the problem is another issue we’re passionate about.”

Dutkiewicz said the group will be embarking on a new bout of coffee sales in a few weeks to continue fundraising efforts.

“I’m mesmerized by the heart and the compassion that the students exhibit in their work with the children,” Dutkiewicz said.

“They want to stay connected with the kids and make a positive difference in their lives. … They are truly leading and I’m following.”

Share and discuss “Group raises funds to vaccinate Indian kids” on social media.