Saturday, May 18, 2024

Mardi Gras event features local talent

Second year jazz performance graduate student Stacey Carter, center, sings as Wess Anderson, an associate professor of Jazz Studies performs with jazz studies senior Glenn Persello-Seefeld, right, during the Mardi Gras celebration Tuesday evening at All Saints Episcopal Church, 800 Abbot Road. The event featured performances by Anderson and MSU jazz studies students.

There was a little piece of Louisiana in East Lansing on Tuesday.

In a crowded room at All Saints Episcopal Church, 800 Abbot Road, Wess “Warmdaddy” Anderson’s smooth jazz filled the air as it mingled with the scent of Louisiana gumbo, the signature dish of Gumbo and Jazz, 1133 E. Grand River Ave.

Anderson’s wife, Desi Anderson, owns the restaurant. The couple, who met in Louisiana, brought the culture to Michigan when Wess Anderson accepted a teaching position in the MSU College of Music.

“The period before Lent has been celebrated with partying before you have to get very serious in Lent and stop eating meat and chocolate,” said the Rev. Kit Carlson, rector of All Saints Episcopal Church. “(It is) your last chance to have a really big party before Lent starts.”

Although All Saints Episcopal Church members celebrated Mardi Gras, also known as Shrove Tuesday, prior to this year, this is the first time they opened their celebration to the community. To get the atmosphere just right, they invited the Andersons to the event.

Carlson said she asked Desi Anderson to cater the church’s event because her gumbo was made using an original Louisiana recipe and asked Wess Anderson to provide the evening’s entertainment.

Unlike smaller Mardi Gras parties found throughout Michigan, Wess Anderson said the celebrations in Louisana are large and wide-spread.

“It’s something you do like Christmas or Thanksgiving,” Wess Anderson said.

Wess Anderson was accompanied by drums, cello, piano and a singer during Tuesday’s celebration. He has three records and has performed across the world.

“As a musician, you bring joy to everyone,” Wess Anderson said.

His favorite song to play during this time of year is “Mardi Gras Ramble.”

“It’s the whole feeling of Mardi Gras,” he said, “No music, no Mardi Gras. You have got to have music.”

Wess Anderson first got involved with jazz as a 12-year-old child living in New York. He attended Southern University at New Orleans. In his time there, he met Desi, who also was a teacher. When the couple moved to Michigan, Desi expected to continue teaching.

“Those doors were shut for some reason,” Desi Anderson said.

Needing something to do, she decided to open Gumbo and Jazz.

“It’s an extension of my kitchen,” she said, “Only now I’m cooking for 150.”

Lansing resident Candice Wilmore, who attended the event after hearing about it on Facebook, said she enjoyed the food and atmosphere.

“(It’s) absolutely the best meal I’ve had in a long time,” Wilmore said. “To come here and hear jazz and eat gumbo on Mardi Gras.”

Share and discuss “Mardi Gras event features local talent” on social media.