NCAA implications in MSU, Ferris State weekend series

Then-freshman forward Daultan Leveille pushes the puck down the ice as he battles with defenders from Ferris State on Feb. 6, 2009, at Munn Ice Arena.

Photo by File photo | The State News

The last time the MSU hockey team earned a clean conference sweep was on Dec. 12, 2009, against Bowling Green.

Since then, the No. 12 Spartans (17-10-5 overall, 12-7-5 CCHA) haven’t been able to put together a complete weekend.

The Spartans are hoping to put it all together this weekend against No. 14 Ferris State (18-10-4, 12-8-4), who is tied with MSU for second place in the CCHA.

It’s no secret: This series will have major implications in the conference standings and could affect both teams’ standing as the NCAA Tournament approaches.

“If you look at the standings, it’s the biggest weekend of our season,” junior forward Corey Tropp said. “It determines a lot. I think we are both two teams nationally that are right on the bubble with making the national tournament. It’s going to be a big fight.”

Friday’s game will be at 7:05 p.m. at rowdy Ewigleben Ice Arena in Big Rapids. The Spartans will return to Munn Ice Arena for a 5:05 p.m. face-off on Saturday.

MSU head coach Rick Comley said playing on the road Friday night is a disadvantage for the Spartans, especially with how difficult of a building Ewigleben Ice Arena can be to play.

“I think it’s the toughest building there is,” Comley said. “Everybody thinks (Yost Ice Arena) is the toughest, but I think Big Rapids is. That student crowd is over the edge and they are very much into the game.”

Ferris State head coach Bob Daniels said he predicts Friday’s game to be a sellout, but doesn’t expect much of a home-ice advantage in the first leg of the series.

“On the road, you may play a little more stress free,” Daniels said. “At home you can get into a situation where you are trying to put on a show. That’s why I really like the home-and-home series. It doesn’t get any more fair than that.”

Both teams are eyeing a spot in the top-four of the CCHA, which guarantees a bye in the first round of the CCHA playoffs and home ice in the second round. With the Bulldogs and Spartans teams closing the season against the two bottom teams in the league, Western Michigan and Bowling Green, respectively, this series could determine who finishes in second place.

“Either team could get on a roll if they win two games this weekend,” Daniels said. “But I’ve got to caution my team, and I’m sure coach Comley is doing the same, to not look further than this weekend. Outside of Miami (Ohio), this league is so close. You could put the teams in a hat and just draw names out.”

Statistically, both teams are very similar. MSU averages 3.12 goals a game, good for second place in the league. Ferris State is right behind MSU, averaging 3.06 goals per game.

Special teams play also has been a strong suit for both teams this season. Ferris State is in second place in the league in the power play and penalty kill. MSU is in the middle of the pack statistically on special teams, but the Spartans’ penalty kill has been hot of late and hasn’t surrendered a goal in their past three games (10-for-10).

“I think this series is going to come down to special teams and goaltending,” Daniels said. “Both teams have really solid penalty kills, and I think MSU’s power play has been like ours this season. Sometimes we’ve clicked really well, other times we’ve been really iffy.”

MSU is winless in its last three games and is looking to right the ship before the playoffs.

“We need to get that momentum going into the playoffs,” sophomore defenseman Matt Crandell said.

“If we have a bad last couple games that really puts us back on our heels going into the playoffs. It makes it tough to get going. But if we can do really well and finish strong with momentum, we should be able to go into the playoffs just running and keep everything going.”

Share and discuss “NCAA implications in MSU, Ferris State weekend series” on social media.