City Council to discuss E.L. car share, corridor study

The East Lansing City Council will discuss the merits of a car-share program, among other issues, during its 7 p.m. Tuesday work session at City Hall, 410 Abbot Road.

MSU has led the charge for a car-share program and is in talks with Enterprise’s WeCar, Hertz’s Connect and Zipcar. All three companies submitted information to MSU, and the school has included East Lansing from the beginning in implementing a program that would lead to greater mobility and environmental sustainability in the community. A system already exists for University of Michigan and Ann Arbor in which various environmentally friendly and efficient cars are stationed in the city and registered to use for an hourly fee.

“(MSU) obviously recognizes there is some benefit to having this in the community. There’s a lot of students who live off campus who want to utilize a program like this,” said Tim Schmitt, East Lansing community development analyst. “It’s a natural fit, especially given the geography of East Lansing and Lansing.”

Schmitt said a car-share program — which also would reduce single-occupancy rides and prevent road deterioration — would make it less expensive for students who do not wish to own a car and pay for insurance and a campus parking permit.

Down on the farm
The economy has crippled developments across the country, but East Lansing officials might be able to make something out of a bad situation if it approves a conditional rezoning of land slated for The Beaumont housing complex, 1000 E. Coleman Road.

Hoop-De-Dew Farms, a private urban farming company, has discussed using up to five acres of the land reserved for The Beaumont’s second phase to create a temporary organic farm that would sell to residents, restaurants and other commercial enterprises. Hoop-De-Dew Farms has been in talks with the Gillespie Group, the company that has halted development on The Beaumont until the economy rebounds, to temporarily lease the property for $1.

Darcy Schmitt, East Lansing planning and zoning administrator, said if the conditional rezoning is green-lighted, the developer could at any time choose to begin construction and the property would revert to its original zoning.

“It’s a very interesting use, selling to local restaurants and residents in close proximity,” she said, acknowledging people living in The Beaumont’s already-built first phase would directly benefit. “And I think it’s a very smart way to use the property.”

Michigan-Grand River Avenue Corridor study
The City Council also will delve further into the Michigan-Grand River Avenue Corridor study by assessing the three remaining modes of transportation selected by the project’s steering committee.

Councilmember Nathan Triplett said the council will look more closely at bus rapid transit, light-rail transit and modern streetcar, as they received the greatest amount of public support during public forums hosted by Capital Area Transportation Authority, or CATA, in January. They also are considered the only options that were logistically and financially feasible.

Share and discuss “City Council to discuss E.L. car share, corridor study” on social media.