Graduate works to fight teen problems through athletics

One in three children will be overweight or obese by the third grade. Three in 10 youth never graduate from high school. Only one in two teenagers will earn a diploma in inner-city areas and more than 750,000 kids are involved in a gang, according to Up2Us.org.

The list of problems for children in the United States, especially underprivileged children, is endless, including things such as teenage pregnancy, drug and alcohol abuse and chronic health issues. However Up2Us, a coalition of organizations providing youth sports activities, is taking a stand.

Standing at the forefront of Up2Us’ research and promotion, MSU alumna Jessica Burdick is joining the fight.

Up2Us is an umbrella organization for many member groups, including its flagship program, Coach Across America. The coalition supports using youth sports as a method to combat social problems and promote healthy lifestyles.

“Sports in particular (are) a great tool in child development because (they) address so many issues. At the same time (they) fight obesity and help with physical health,” Burdick said.

“(They) keep kids off the street, prevent teen pregnancy and gang participation, decrease aggressive behavior and provide mentorship with a coach. (They’re) such a great tool to give a child to help them succeed.”

Burdick became involved in Up2Us after a frustrating job search yielded no results. Instead, she turned to the AmeriCorps program Volunteers in Service to America, VISTA to find employment. VISTA members commit to volunteering for a year in a poverty-fighting program with a nonprofit organization or government agency.

“When I graduated, there was not a great job market out there, and VISTA has a lot of great openings,” Burdick said. “There’s a lot of really great opportunities for people that might not have a lot of experience that are still looking for a real job.”

Through VISTA, Burdick found Up2Us, which she had not previously heard of, and now works in New York City as a research associate.

“I was always involved in sports growing up — I figure skated my whole life,” Burdick said. “I was involved in research at MSU and I’m interested in child development research and (my job at Up2Us) deals a lot with both child development research and sports, so it was a really great match for my background and interests.”

Megan Bartlett, director of research and development, said Burdick has been instrumental in helping Up2Us’ research into the benefits of youth sports programs.

“I don’t know a person who loves research more than Jessica,” Bartlett said. “She believes so strongly for sports to be backed up by research that she literally gets up out of her chair to make a point.”

Founded in 2008, Up2Us has grown quickly.

“We’ve just had a lot more success than I think anyone had anticipated. They were aiming to have 50 members in two years, and we have over 400,” said Heather Langerman, member service coordinator for Up2Us. “Everyone is pretty excited to unite and get everyone working towards the same goal.”

On a day-to-day basis, Burdick helps to unite and inform Up2Us’ members through her research.

“I spend some time combing news articles for info that pertains to our field that we can let our members know about,” Burdick said. “I spend some time looking up academic studies that support youth sports and what outcomes youth sports might have on child development. (I) use that info to support our cause and advocate and write grants.”

Burdick hopes that the experience at Up2Us will help her in her career in child development research. After she finishes her year of volunteering with VISTA in August, she hopes to attend graduate school, possibly at New York University or Columbia University.

Bartlett said child development research is the best field for Burdick, and she hopes Burdick continues in her plans.

“I don’t think there is another fit for her,” Bartlett said. “I don’t think she could do anything else. She’s a total child development research freak. I hope that she continues to do it through a sports lense, because youth sports really need people like Jessica.”

Burdick said she is excited for her future in research.

“It’s something I’ve always wanted to do, be involved in child development and child services,” Burdick said.

“I want to stay in the child development research field … fighting obesity and keeping kids out of gangs; that’s the rewarding part. Knowing that every day I’m doing something to help.”

Share and discuss “Graduate works to fight teen problems through athletics” on social media.