Lucas officially out for NCAA Tournament

Lucas

Kalin Lucas ruptured his left Achilles tendon in MSU’s 85-83 second-round win over Maryland on Sunday in the NCAA Tournament, and the junior guard will miss the remainder of the NCAA Tournament, the MSU men’s basketball program announced in a statement.

“We feel terrible for Kalin, he was having a great NCAA Tournament,” head coach Tom Izzo said in the statement. “The good news is there is no doubt he will make a full and complete recovery. He’s a tough kid and he’ll do everything necessary to return to his elite level.”

Recovery time is expected to be four to six months.

Lucas left the game with 2:09 remaining in the first half of Sunday’s game and did not return.

A co-captain, Lucas leads MSU in scoring (14.8 points per game), assists (3.9 per game) and minutes played (31.1 per game).

“I appreciate all the support I’ve received from everyone, but especially my teammates,” said Lucas, who will travel with the team for its next game. “At halftime against Maryland, they told me they had my back. And I told them I had theirs.”

The No. 5-seed Spartans continue NCAA Tournament play against No. 9-seed Northern Iowa at 9:37 p.m. Friday in St. Louis.

Share and discuss “Lucas officially out for NCAA Tournament” on social media.