MSU Extension to research different biofuel croplands

A grant awarded to the MSU Extension will allow researchers to look into the feasibility of planting crops that could be used for biofuels on nontraditional croplands such as Michigan roadways, vacant lots and state-owned pieces of land.

Provided by the Michigan Department of Energy, Labor & Economic Growth, or DELEG, the $24,950 grant was announced Friday. The funding will enable researchers to identify the potential of processing the plants into usable fuel, said Dennis Pennington, an external educator for MSU’s Kellogg Biological Station.

Fuel could be used for products such as biofuels, heat and electricity.

“This would be the first step,” Pennington said. “If things go well and the feasibility studies show economic potential, we’ll move into phase two — identifying what exactly do we want to do and how do we go about getting started.”

Without the grant, the research would not be possible, said Charles Gould, an MSU Extension educator.

Included in the research is mapping out the number of acres of nontraditional crop land within the state available for growing energy crops, he said.

“We’re looking at the side of roads, we’re looking at airports, we’re looking at brownfields, vacant lots — really anything that currently is growing weeds,” Gould said.

Research also will be conducted on the types of energy crops that could be grown and the economic costs and benefits of growing the crops on nontraditional land, he said.

Pennington said researchers also will look into possible hurdles, such as state or federal regulations. They plan to look into potential “logical” issues, such as ensuring crops grown in highway right-of-ways do not attract deer.

The research will result in a Geographic Information System, or GIS, that shows the potential growth sites for bioenergy crops, Gould said.

“When this report comes out, we’ll be able to tell the community how many acres are available for bioenergy crop production and what are some potential barriers and issues,” he said.

The research is expected to be complete by this fall. Researchers plan to report their findings to the DELEG before the grant ends Sept. 9, Pennington said.
Terri Novak, an agri-energy specialist for the DELEG, said this first phase of research will determine if further projects should be undertaken.

Such research has significant implications for Michigan’s future, she said.

“It is important for energy security and to create jobs and to protect the environment and for the security of our state and to produce alternate fuels,” Novak said.

Share and discuss “MSU Extension to research different biofuel croplands” on social media.