Breaking down 3 main spring football issues

Matt Bishop

With the weather heating up and basketball season over, it’s time to start looking forward to football.

Although it’s only April, spring football is in full swing, and head coach Mark Dantonio’s squad is working hard to improve on last season’s 6-7 record, which included a loss to Texas Tech in the 2010 Valero Alamo Bowl and the infamy taken on by several members of the team due to their involvement in the Rather Hall altercation.

Each year, spring football brings a few players or positional units to the forefront. Last season, everybody was concerned about the quarterback race — and rightfully so. Kirk Cousins ended up winning the battle, and it appears Keith Nichol will try his hand at receiver for the majority of his snaps and assume a dual-threat role on the team.

There are no glamorous battles this year like last season’s quarterback battle, but there still are several interesting things happening that could have a large impact on the 2010 season.

Here are three things to watch for as spring football progresses:

1) The offensive line

Only two starters remain from last season, and the line will have to recover from the departures of tackle Rocco Cironi and center Joel Nitchman, two players who anchored the line for a long time.

In their stead will be sophomore guard Chris McDonald and junior tackle Jared McGaha, who is making the switch from guard to tackle.

Joining those two are senior center John Stipek, who has starting experience, junior guard Joel Foreman, who has been a rock in his first two seasons, and senior tackle D.J. Young, who gained experience and improved as the 2009 season continued.

Having the offensive line mesh is the most important element of spring football
and fall camp. Protecting Cousins and getting the running game going all depends on the line doing its job and doing it well.

Foreman has been widely praised for his work but he especially will to have to step it up to a new level. This unit needs to get off to a good start and hit the ground running when the season opens Sept. 4 against Western Michigan.

2) Running back

MSU’s running backs, as often is the case with freshmen, showed inconsistencies last season. Larry Caper won the job, and the plan was to redshirt Edwin Baker. That was until Glenn Winston was lost for the season and Caper got banged up. Baker stepped in and both he and Caper got experience as true freshmen.

Now sophomores, the duo returns with some big experience under their belts. Baker showed much improvement in the Alamo Bowl loss, showing the benefit of bowl practices by rushing for 97 yards and a touchdown on 12 carries.

The continued improvement and evolution of he and Caper, especially in the areas of pass blocking and catching the ball out of the backfield, is something to keep an eye on.

Freshmen Nick Hill and Le’Veon Bell are early enrollees and Hill especially should be watched. He’s a small, fast back with good speed who can do some things if he gets in the open field.

3) Kicker

For the past four seasons, Brett Swenson was as close to automatic as you can find in college football. He was the big factor behind MSU’s success the past two seasons, hitting long kicks and pressure kicks when the team needed him most. When Swenson missed a kick, it was a shock. It’s a long contrast from 2005, when people were shocked when the ragtag collection of kickers made one.

Now, it’s back to the unknown.

Redshirt freshman Kevin Muma comes into spring football tops on the depth chart. Trailing him is sophomore Dan Conroy. Mike Sadler, a three-star recruit and seventh ranked kicker in the country according to Rivals, will join them in fall camp.

So really, Muma and Conroy have the chance to compete for the position now, but it’s all up in the air again when Sadler comes to campus for fall camp.

Matt Bishop is a State News sports reporter. He can be reached at bishop20@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Breaking down 3 main spring football issues” on social media.