Breslin's son to run for Board of Trustees

Breslin

The son of the man for whom Breslin Center is named officially is seeking the Republican nomination for the MSU Board of Trustees, running on a platform that includes maintaining affordable tuition and enhancing research at the university.

Brian Breslin, a 59-year-old retired Meijer executive and MSU alumnus, is one of three Republicans seeking the nomination. The others are current Trustee Don Nugent and former MSU tight end Mitch Lyons.

Breslin’s father, Jack Breslin, worked at MSU for 38 years and is Breslin Center’s namesake.

Seeking the Democratic nomination are current Trustee Colleen McNamara and former East Lansing mayor Sam Singh.

Breslin’s campaign has been endorsed by numerous state and national Republican party VIPs, including former Republican Gov. John Engler, U.S. Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Brighton, seven former Republican MSU trustees and 18 of 22 Republican state senators.

Previous leadership experience, in addition to “a deep and abiding love” for MSU and a need for strong leadership on the board, factored into his decision to run, especially considering economic devastation statewide, Breslin said.

“The Legislature’s going to have a real tough time (and) so are the people of Michigan,” Breslin said. “Michigan State is going to face a whole set of challenges all its own. My career experience, I think, has prepared me to be a trustee. I think I can serve the university and the state well.”

Breslin’s focus will be on garnering support with Michigan Republican Party delegates in the months leading up to the August convention. On Thursday, he attended an event called a Lincoln Day Dinner, where those seeking election to various statewide positions meet with potential delegates to the state convention to make a case for why they should be nominated.

He also said he will work to gain support statewide and already has met with Republican leaders on varying levels, including with officials from Michigan’s 15 congressional districts.

“If I’m fortunate enough to be nominated, then I’ll work on behalf of the Republican ticket … from one end of the state to the next, and hope there’s a lot of success there,” Breslin said.

MSU Trustee Melanie Foster, a Republican, said she supports Breslin’s candidacy. Foster said Breslin has made a name for himself in his own right.
“Brian’s had a very successful and multifaceted career,” Foster said. “I think his strengths from the business community would be beneficial to the Board of Trustees.”

Faylene Owen, an MSU trustee and one of the board’s Democrats, said she knows Breslin’s family, including his now-deceased father, and said Brian Breslin could be a good addition to the board, if elected.

“He comes from a fine family,” Owen said in an e-mail. “If he is elected, I am sure he will do well.”

Share and discuss “Breslin's son to run for Board of Trustees” on social media.