City Center II site plan update likely

Chappelle

The East Lansing City Council will discuss a site plan amendment to City Center II project that would allow office use in addition to retail and residential purposes during its Tuesday meeting.

The amended site plan to a five-story building in the project was approved unanimously — with two members absent — during the East Lansing Planning Commission’s Feb. 24 meeting. Scott Chappelle, president of Strathmore Development Co. which is spearheading the development, said there has been interest for office space in the 25-unit structure.

“The demand for space in the City Center project has surpassed our most optimistic projections,” he said in an e-mail. “We have multiple options for most of the commercial space; however (we) will probably wait until the commencement of construction before making final commitments.”

The 5.5 acre, $116.4 million project is bounded by Abbot Road, Grand River Avenue and Valley Court Park.

Progress has been stalled for several months, which Chappelle and city officials peg on the global financial crisis. With credit markets frozen, it has been difficult to secure funds to move forward, Chappelle said. Councilmember Kevin Beard said he believes City Council will act on the site plan amendment at the meeting, and he expects it to pass.

“I think people understand pretty well what is being proposed there and a vast majority of people in the community look favorably on it and are ready to see that corner redeveloped,” he said.

Beard said he believes the planning commission acted quickly on the measure because the site plan amendment did not change the project’s physical nature. With the only change being a zoning issue, he said it was a fairly minor alteration.

Tim Schmitt, East Lansing community development analyst, said the step after the site plan amendment would be constructing a new development agreement with the developer. If that is completed, permits to demolish the area’s existing structures must be acquired.

Share and discuss “City Center II site plan update likely” on social media.