Saturday, May 4, 2024

Join basketball team in exemplifying Spartan pride

It’s a great year to be a Spartan. This weekend especially is a time to celebrate what it means to be a Spartan: resiliency, ingenuity and teamwork.

Resiliency is a trademark of the MSU athletic community, and very rarely has that trait been more apparent than in the past year’s actions by student-athletes and the general student body. The most recent example is the men’s basketball team’s improbable run to the Final Four.

After a late-season skid that left fans doubting the capability of the team and several key injuries that left followers wincing, the team looked like it had exhausted the season’s magic. But with true Spartan spirit, the team has pushed through with a winning streak that has left the media and fans surprised, lauding head coach Tom Izzo’s brilliance and the team’s vivacity. But the basketball team isn’t the only Spartan unit to survive turmoil to please Spartan nation.

During the football season, as huge suspensions from an on-campus fight cast a dark shadow on the university’s image, the shorthanded team hobbled into the Alamo Bowl and stayed true to Spartan ideals, losing by only 10 points to a Texas Tech team many thought would win by a large margin. And thanks to some classic Spartan ingenuity, former quarterback Keith Nichol now is a starting receiver following his performance in the bowl game. The football program still is dealing with the aftermath of the incident, but head coach Mark Dantonio is holding his head high as he makes his decisions with the players involved.

But sports teams aren’t the only ones who have shown their veins run thick with green and white. The MSU student body held its ground and acted virtually in unison when the athletics department unveiled a plan to change the Spartans head logo. There was so much backlash, the athletics department scrapped the idea.

But with all the strong school spirit, egos can become inflated. It’s important to act with responsibility and respect here in East Lansing and across the globe. Students and alumni are the ones who represent MSU and the Spartan namesake and shouldn’t do anything that will embarrass the university. Think about how it feels when rival schools ride their high horses and put down MSU. Let’s keep the university in a positive light in the minds of the country.

With that being said, MSU is in a position of which most schools only can dream. How often can a school say it has made the Final Four two years in a row? Tom Izzo isn’t the only one who can say he’s taken every four-year recruit to the Final Four since he took over — every student who has graced the campus of MSU during Izzo’s tenure can say he or she has experienced what it’s like for their school to be in the Final Four, a feat even nonbasketball fans can enjoy. Have a good time this weekend, but celebrate responsibly and avoid making decisions that will lessen the prestige of MSU.

In East Lansing, Indianapolis or anywhere else in the world, have fun this weekend. But represent your school with class. Let that green and white bleed this weekend and wear the Spartans logo proudly.

Share and discuss “Join basketball team in exemplifying Spartan pride” on social media.