NPHC Week acknowledges greeks, religion

Alpha Lambda Omega Christian Sorority, Inc. sisters, from left, social relations and policy senior Patrice Johnson, social work senior Yolanda Hines, and elementary education sophomore Jasmine Baker attended the “Don’t Let the Letters Fool You” presentation put on by the MSU chapter of the National Pan-Hellenic Council on Monday night in the Psychology Research building. The presentation was held to dispel myths between religion and greek life.

Journalism and public relations senior Ashley Simms considers herself a devout Christian. She became frustrated when she was told that she could not be both a Christian and a sorority girl.

“You make your decisions,” Simms said. “Not the organization.”

On Monday night, a panel spoke about the connection between the greek community and religion to a group of about 30 students.

They discussed the origins of black greek-letter organizations and how greek members still can have a strong faith base.

The event was part of the National Pan-Hellenic Council’s Spring NPHC Week — an annual event meant to end the semester and bring attention to the organization.

The National Pan-Hellenic Council, or NPHC, is an umbrella organization that includes nine traditionally black fraternities and sororities.
The MSU chapter has been in existence for more than a decade.

Bryan Cotton, a media arts and technology senior and chairperson of Monday’s program, said some organizations have practices that are religious.

“Most organizations have a chapter chaplain responsible for keeping members of the organization spiritually grounded,” Cotton said.

“All have a hymn and a prayer that they do and that reflects the strong ties to religion.”

NPHC MSU chapter President Marvin Yates, a political theory and constitutional democracy senior, said the weeklong events are meant to bring together MSU’s various greek organizations in the NPHC.

“The purpose of the week is to promote greek unity on campus and to show that we can do more than just party,” Yates said.

“I think a big thing is keeping campus aware that we are doing things, we are doing positive things.”

The entire week has a mixture of educational events, such as the panel on religion and “study tables” Wednesday in the Main Library, and events more focused on enjoyment, such as the second annual Stroll-Off — a stepping competition between different greek organizations where teams step to the beat of the music.

All events are open to the public and with the exception of the Stroll-Off, all events are free.

“In all honesty, it would benefit anyone to get an understanding of someone else’s culture and background,” said Gary Williams, a technology systems management senior and vice president of the MSU chapter of NPHC.

“We can learn from his perspective, he can learn from ours.”

Social work senior Monica Bester said events such as the Stroll-Off and “Wild’N Out” night — an improvisation show based on the MTV game show of the same name — helped encourage students to have a good time without the influence of alcohol.

“It’s not just from parties we have,” Bester said. “We’re trying to do something to keep the community active and having fun outside the party aspect.”

Share and discuss “NPHC Week acknowledges greeks, religion” on social media.