SADD Day aims to deter drunken driving

General management sophomore Jenna Pearson takes a junior officer badge sticker from MSU police officer Ron Kalich to promote Spartans Against Drunk Driving. The group is having a meeting at 6 p.m. Sunday.

Spartans Against Drunk Driving, or SADD, hosted SADD Day on Tuesday in front of the rock on Farm Lane to raise awareness about SADD and the dangers of drinking and driving.

Officers from the East Lansing Police Department and the MSU Department of Police and Public Safety and members of SADD passed out information cards and stickers, spreading the message for students not to drink and drive.

SADD President Marissa Cann said more than 800 people visited the rock on Farm Lane on Tuesday. SADD members painted the rock and had a wrecked car on the lawn to show students the implications of driving while drunk.

“A lot of people don’t even know we have a SADD,” Cann said. “It’s important for us to be out here not only to get out our message, but also to show people we’re here, and let them know how they can join.”

SADD, in conjunction with liaisons from ELPD and MSU police, host various events throughout the year and have biweekly meetings. Cann said there are about 200 people on the SADD e-mail list, with about 20 to 30 active members.

East Lansing police Officer James Campbell said ELPD is actively involved with SADD on campus, and the department has seen more students utilizing taxicabs or alternative forms of transportation when drinking in the past few years.

“Going downtown on any given Friday, there are a lot of taxis down there,” Campbell said. “The students are using them. It didn’t always used to be that way.”

MSU police Lt. Randy Holton said the biggest hurdle for changing behaviors with drinking and driving is to get the information out to the masses.
“You never know how many lives we save, because by (SADD) sending out their message and interacting with people, maybe after meeting the group people change their minds about getting behind the wheel and driving drunk,” Holton said.

One of the most important things about SADD is that its message is a positive one, Holton said.

“They’re not saying not to drink, but they’re saying if you do drink, don’t drive,” Holton said.

Cann said SADD has a meeting Sunday at the MSU police station, 87 Red Cedar Road, and also has a fundraiser at Noodles & Co., 205 E. Grand River Ave., on April 29. Cann said one of the highlights of the fundraiser is a noodle-eating contest between ELPD and MSU police officers.

“That’s always a fun thing, seeing a bunch of guys in uniform chowing down on noodles is always a sight to see,” Cann said.

Share and discuss “SADD Day aims to deter drunken driving” on social media.