MSU survey looks at viability of e-books

When students begin hunting for the cheapest textbooks this fall, they might see a list of available electronic books, or e-books, on MSU’s website as a result of a study currently being conducted at MSU.

The campuswide student survey, which is part of MSU’s Environmental Stewardship Initiative and is expected to be completed in September, will gather information about how prepared students are for a potential switch to e-books and digital courseware, said Stuart Gage, a professor emeritus at MSU and the study’s principal investigator.

“This is a revolution that’s going on everywhere, and it’s something that we need to adapt to,” Gage said.

Gage said the informational study plans to discover where students purchase course materials and what resources — such as the Amazon Kindle e-reader — students use and are familiar with.

“MSU, I am hoping, would be a major player in the adoption of digital technology in unique ways and will really help students to be better learners,” he said.

Jennifer Battle, the assistant director for the Office of Campus Sustainability, said the study began by looking at different ways to reduce paper waste, but has evolved into understanding what textbook alternatives are available.

“Technology is evolving such that there are different options out there for textbooks or learning resources,” Battle said.

“We’re just trying to stay ahead of the curve and offer our students and faculty the best options for their needs.”

Gage said he has been in collaboration with Fred Poston, MSU’s vice president of finance and operations, for the study and other projects that will allow MSU faculty and students to be better environmental stewards.

“I’m a retired professor now, and I’ve got time to worry about these things and try to do something about it,” Gage said.

Duncan Selby, a graduate entomology student who works with Gage on the research, said the study will not guarantee a digital change at MSU, but could provide some insight on how possible that change could be.

“Our survey was really looking into how prepared MSU students are for the eventual transition to the digital environment,” Selby said. “We’re not saying it’s going to be in the near future, we’re just trying to gauge exactly what the situation is.”

Although she had qualms about how data would be backed up, hospitality business senior Tanya Knight said she would buy her textbooks in digital versions if they were available.

“It would probably be cheaper (and) you wouldn’t have to carry as much,” Knight said.

Gage said digital formats are a huge breakthrough for reducing paper waste, but prenursing junior Crystal Lambert said she would only consider buying a digital textbook if it was less expensive.

“It goes back to sitting down and reading a book — it’s just not the same,” she said. “I don’t like to read off of a screen. I don’t learn as well.”

Gage bought the original Kindle and the recently released Apple iPad tablet, and said it seems foolish to carry around a large number of books when the alternative is a portable device.

“Professors will tell you, ‘I only like to sit back in (a) chair and read a paper book’ — that’s their comfort zone,” Gage said. “As technology evolves, it’s becoming easier and easier and more and more pleasant to read in a digital format.”

Share and discuss “MSU survey looks at viability of e-books” on social media.