Spartans fans ponder Izzo's next move

MSU basketball fans across the nation are holding their breath, waiting on MSU men’s basketball head coach Tom Izzo to make a decision regarding a possible contract offer from the NBA’s Cleveland Cavaliers.

On Monday, MSU Athletics Director Mark Hollis confirmed the Cavaliers have contacted Izzo, and on Tuesday, newly hired Cleveland General Manager Chris Grant confirmed the organization’s interest.

The speculation and media coverage have left MSU students pondering Izzo’s next move.
Izzone co-director Shane Smith said he’s not surprised by the seriousness of the Cavaliers offer.

“Just by the way he’s handled himself with offers in the past, I knew this one would have to be more serious,” he said. “The only reason I could see him leaving is if he had a serious immediate opportunity for success at the next level.”

The immediate opportunity could lie in the opportunity to coach Lebron James, Smith said.

“Izzo has so much talent coming back here at MSU next year,” he said. “The only person I could see him throw out what he has on the table here to work with is Lebron.”

Although he would be disappointed if Izzo left for bigger things, Smith said the head coach’s accomplishments at MSU cannot be overlooked.

“Just because he leaves doesn’t mean all the things he’s done and brought to the university leaves,” he said. “He’s done so much to establish himself as an ambassador for the school and Michigan. He’s more than just a coach.”

Okemos resident and MSU fan Steve Wilson said all MSU supporters should understand Izzo’s ultimate decision.

“He’s one of the greatest college coaches to grace the courts,” he said. “He can make whatever decision he wants, no matter where he ends up, and it will be the right one.”

Although MSU fans would be crushed by a departure, the basketball program likely will stay strong, mechanical engineering junior Oroje Agari said.

“It’d be one of the more upsetting things I could imagine to happen to the MSU community,” he said. “But with the players coming back, any coach should be able to sit down and win some games.”

Regardless, Izzo leaving could hurt the team in the future, Agari said.

“He’s established himself as someone who won’t leave,” he said. “So if he left, why would a recruit come here? But he said he won’t leave, and until he does, I believe him.”

Smith said everyone should understand the decision is Izzo’s personal career choice, but a return would show Izzo’s appreciation of the MSU community, and vice versa.

“He’s done so much to work with us and understands the importance of the fan aspect in the game,” Smith said. “We in return look at him and no without him leading the team and doing all that he has for the university, we’d be a different school.”

Rumors Izzo is holding off on a decision due to a lack of appreciation from MSU is unlikely, Smith said.

“Hollis is always high on him,” he said. “And he’s one of the highest paid coaches in the college game.”

The possible separation would mark an end of an era, Smith said.

“If he left, we’d definitely have to change the name of the Izzone,” he said. “But there will never be a connection with a coach like this again at MSU.”

Share and discuss “Spartans fans ponder Izzo's next move” on social media.