Local golf courses offer value for students

During the summer, MSU students still in East Lansing have a variety of different opportunities presented to them than they might find throughout the regular school year.

Lighter class loads and warmer temperatures give students more time to enjoy the outdoors, including East Lansing’s surrounding golf courses, which are in prime form.

For those students looking to enjoy a relaxing day on the golf course, away from class or work, here are my choices of the top three courses the area has based on value, or bang for your buck.

Forest Akers

East Course, 2280 Harrison Road, East Lansing
Student weekday rates: $17 for 18 holes, $11 for nine holes (walking)
West Course, 3535 Forest Road, East Lansing
Student weekday rates: $29 for 18 holes, $18 for nine holes (walking)

When it comes to enjoying good golf at a reasonable price, Forest Akers has the most to offer to MSU students. Located just south of campus, both the East and West courses are kept in great shape.

The only difference between each course is the challenge they present to golfers.

“We feel the East Course is a more user-friendly golf course,” Forest Akers general manager Steve Ruthenburg said, comparing the East and West courses. “It’s easier, it’s shorter in length, it’s a little bit more wide open and less severe around the greens, so the beginning golfer can enjoy it.”

In addition, the East Course is cheaper than the West, making it more appealing to the average golfer.

As the MSU golf team’s home course, Forest Akers West is much more difficult than its counterpart. Having hosted past Big Ten Championships and Fossum Invitationals, Ruthenburg said the West Course is a challenging one with a great history.

“Our West golf course is more of a championship course,” Ruthenburg said. “It’s a little bit more difficult. It’s in excellent condition and it’s got a great layout visually and from a difficulty standpoint.”

Other than two enjoyable courses, Forest Akers also features a driving range that has been voted as a top-100 range in the U.S. by the Golf Range Association of America for 13 of the past 14 years.

Ruthenburg said the best part about the Forest Akers driving range is the fact that it can be used throughout the year.

“We have an all-weather heated facility,” Ruthenburg said. “So I think it would be a great thing for people to do in the fall and even in the winter.”

College Fields Golf Club

3800 Hagadorn Road, Okemos
Student weekday rates: $20 for 18 holes, $12 for nine holes (walking)

In the middle of its fifth season in operation, College Fields is one of the newest golf courses in the state. Although it is a relatively young course, College Fields already has hosted a number of United States Golf Association and Golf Association of Michigan events.

“It’s a championship course with two different looks to it,” College Fields head golf professional Chris Hallead said. “The front nine has a links style with the more open fairways, and then the back nine is kind of more northern with tree lines everywhere, so you have that up-north feeling.”

Hallead said College Fields’ proximity to MSU and capacity to challenge regular golfers, while accommodating those who are new to the sport make it a perfect course for students to play. He also said the greens at College Fields are some of the best around.

“We have large greens, but they roll as good as any in the area,” Hallead said. “I think greens make a golf course, and we have great ones out here.”

Timber Ridge Golf Club

16339 Park Lake Road, East Lansing
Regular Sunday-Thursday rates: $50 for 18 holes, $30 for nine holes (cart only)

Cut out of an old pine tree farm 21 years ago, the Timber Ridge Golf Club looks much different than other local courses. Wes Koons, director of golf operations at Timber Ridge, said the course’s relatively high altitude and rolling hills make it a scenic course that presents a “natural challenge.”

“This type of terrain you don’t get to see here in this area of Michigan very much,” Koons said. “So as far as scenic views and undulation changes, the course is unique for here.”

Located just north of the Ingham County border, the Timber Ridge Clubhouse and 14th tee box are the highest and second highest points, respectively, in Clinton County, Koons said.

Although playing at Timber Ridge might cost more than playing other local courses, the rates are worth it to play one of the best courses in the state. In 2002, Timber Ridge was the only course in Michigan to receive Golf Digest’s five-star rating, the highest attainable rating.

“We have a lot of different rates at a lot of different times of day to appeal to everybody’s price range, so we do work hard on that,” Koons said.

Share and discuss “Local golf courses offer value for students” on social media.