Biggby Coffee launches mobile phone website

In line with a growing trend of businesses offering mobile access, Biggby Coffee customers can access a calorie counter, find nearby locations and other information using the company’s new mobile website.

The site, launched in July, converted the original Biggby website into a mobile-friendly version for use on cell phones, said Nicole Maison, a spokeswoman for Biggby, in an e-mail. People using a phone to access biggby.com will automatically be redirected to the mobile version.

Customers also can use the site to request to open a franchise, or follow the owner’s blog and Biggby’s Twitter feed.

“We decided that in the interest of technology and just how many people are accessing information through their phones that a mobile website was much needed,” Maison said.

Businesses are increasing their use of mobile websites and SMS communication, said Constantinos Coursaris, an assistant professor in the Department of Telecommunication, Information Studies and Media, in an e-mail.

“Applications offering personalization, incentives and in turn loyalty are constantly being introduced and enhanced,” Coursaris said.

There are ways to utilize the technology to benefit customers and businesses alike, Coursaris said.

“They might be able to use a code corresponding to a discount coupon received on their mobile phone at the time of purchase from a nearby cafe,” he said.

The site can educate coffee drinkers about how coffee is made and what the ingredients are, said Sinan Musullu, manager of the Biggby located at 270 W. Grand River Ave. Many customers ask about reduced-calorie or sugar-free drink options.

“It’s more in the summer time that people are asking for reduced-calorie drinks and options,” Musullu said.

The calorie calculator allows users to find the number of calories and other values for combinations of the drink’s size, type of milk, whipped cream and reduced calorie option.

Although the site could prove to be useful, there has not been much feedback from customers, Musullu said.

“We do have the nutrition guide in the stores,” he said. “It’s sometimes easier to just ask us in the store.”

Other features, such as the Biggby locator, are aimed at travelers, Maison said.

“Not only can they find the closest Biggby Coffee location to where they are, but also find out where additional locations are close to their destination,” she said.

Businesses can give customers easy access to information such as checking out daily specials or coupons and finding nearby places are the main benefit of using mobile sites, East Lansing resident Brian Fadie said.

“Any business without a mobile site is missing out on the trend,” Fadie said.

Share and discuss “Biggby Coffee launches mobile phone website” on social media.