MSU 'green' buildings improve worker health

Students and employees might want to think twice before going into a building that is not LEED-certified, according to a study by researchers from MSU.

LEED, or Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, certifications are a set of requirements to improve indoor environmental quality in buildings. Buildings that are LEED-certified have been proven to improve health in employees, said Sue Grady, an assistant professor of geography and researcher on the study.

“In this study, the researchers were interested in LEED Indoor Environmental Quality, or IEQ, credits that improve air quality, temperature, humidity, ventilation, lighting, acoustics and ergonomic design and safety,” Grady said. “Employees moving from regular ‘traditional’ buildings to LEED-certified buildings reported that they had fewer symptoms of asthma, respiratory allergies, depression and stress and they felt they were more productive.”

The combination of healthier and more environmentally friendly approaches in the buildings resulted in higher productivity among employees, Grady said.

The study is a foundation for the start of many new buildings, both on campus and in the Mid-Michigan area, that are increasing the health of students and employees, Grady said.

“These findings are preliminary because they measured how employees perceived improvements in their health and productivity relatively soon after their move into the new LEED buildings,” Grady said. “The research team currently is evaluating ways to differentiate between the positive impact due to moving to LEED buildings versus the newness of the buildings and other factors. The health and productivity findings from this study, however, do indicate that green buildings may positively affect public health.”

Depending on the requirements a building meets, the certification is categorized from silver, gold and platinum, all consecutively increasing in credits for each category. A building can earn credits based on the requirements it meets in each category, said Matt Syal, a professor in the School of Planning, Design and Construction and researcher on the project.

“(For requirements), the first category is related to the site, what kind of site you choose, the second category is how much water you save, the third category is how much energy you save, the fourth category is how much material you reuse and save and the fifth category is indoor environmental quality, how much better is the environmental indoor quality in the building,” Syal said. “You score credits in each of these categories and when you score a certain number of credits you can get your building certified as (a) LEED building.”

Buildings on campus, such as MSU’s Chemistry Building, are joining the movement to become LEED-certified, Syal said.

“The idea in the future is that when people build environmental buildings, (that) research shows many benefits that are related to health and productivity,” Syal said.

James Geiger, an associate professor who teaches in the Chemistry Building, said the new improvements have made for a more healthy and efficient working environment for the students and staff.

“It’s a very nice building (and) it’s very user-friendly,” Geiger said. “I feel much better (after the improvements).”

Share and discuss “MSU 'green' buildings improve worker health” on social media.