Spot for 8th district set to open up

Enderle

The former Democratic nominee for Michigan’s 8th congressional district who twice entered and retreated from the race has registered to vote in another state, allowing the Michigan Democratic Party to nominate a new candidate for the November general election.

Although the party has not yet received notice, MSU alumnus Kande Ngalamulume said in an e-mail Wednesday that he registered to vote in Delaware County, Penn., on Monday.

A copy of the registration is in transit to Michigan officials, and it should arrive no later than Friday, Ngalamulume said.

By registering out of state, Ngalamulume will give the Michigan Democratic Party an opportunity to appoint a new candidate to run against incumbent U.S. Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Brighton, for a spot in the U.S. House of Representatives.

Rogers has represented the district for about a decade. The 8th district includes Ingham, Clinton, Ingham, Oakland, Livingston and Shiawassee counties.

“It is my hope that the people get a representative who works to advance their interests, and not those of the special interests and well-to-do,” Ngalamulume said.

John Tramontana, spokesman for the Michigan Democratic Party, said early Wednesday that Ngalamulume had not contacted the party. Tramontana and other party officials could not be reached for comment after Ngalamulume announced his registration.

“To my knowledge, nothing like this has happened in the past,” Tramontana said, prior to the information that Ngalamulume registered in Pennsylvania.

Despite officials’ lack of notification, Lance Enderle, a 41-year-old MSU graduate student who campaigned in the primaries as a write-in candidate against Ngalamulume, said he is moving forward with his campaign in hopes of being appointed as the Democratic Party’s candidate.

“I’m grateful that the democratic process can move forward in the 8th district,” Enderle said.

No confirmation could be reached from Tramontana, but Enderle said a meeting among the county leaders in the 8th district already has been called. Enderle said as far as he knew, no other candidate is interested in running.

Tramontana said the Michigan Democratic Party does not have a self-imposed deadline for appointing a replacement. But Kelly Chesney, a spokeswoman for the Michigan Secretary of State, said the information about who is running must be known before the printing of the ballots for the Nov. 2 election occurs.

“We would need the information about (whomever) would be selected 60 days in advance of the election, which would give them time to mail (the ballots) out to the local municipalities,” Chesney said.

Enderle’s recent campaigning primarily has consisted of participating in parades and community events to make his presence known, he said.

“We have no intention to quit on the people of the 8th district,” he said.

Share and discuss “Spot for 8th district set to open up” on social media.