Company launches online food service

Students have now a new option when looking to stave off hunger.

The Campus Special, a company that works with local businesses to provide coupons to students, launched a free online food ordering service for area restaurants, on Aug 25. It enables students to buy food with the click of a button, according to The Campus Special’s website.

“We have exclusive deals that you cannot find at any other website available here,” said Joe Jacobs, co-founder of The Campus Special.

“We have a geomapping delivery feature. Wherever you are, you can see restaurants that deliver to you. The technology is a key feature.”

Another new program called Text It 2 Me also is available to students. After signing up, students receive constant updates from restaurants through text messaging. Students can order food with their phones using an application available for iPhones, Androids and BlackBerrys, Jacobs said.
Local representative and alumna Jennie Giordano said the new programs were created to cater to students.

“Text It 2 Me allows local businesses to update and text deals to students every week,” Giordano said. “As students, we always have our cell phones, keys and wallets.”

Websites such as campusfood.com offer similar online ordering services.

“We see competition entering the market as a testament to the value of our business,” campusfood.com spokeswoman Carolyn Glass said in an e-mail. “Our customers are going to stay loyal with us.”

On Tuesday, campusfood.com planned to launch a game on its website which replaced the Facebook application Food Friendzy.

Food Friendzy enabled users to win points through games and exchange them for online ordering coupons, Glass said.

MSU students not only have access to online food ordering through The Campus Special, they have the opportunity to work as interns with the company. Interns learn skills in marketing, public relations, advertising and communication and work with local business owners on a daily basis, Jacobs said.

“(Working as an intern was) the best decision that I’ve ever made. It’s honestly one of the best companies you could ever work for,” Giordano said.

Inc. Magazine recently ranked The Campus Special as No. 1,390 of the top 5,000 fastest growing businesses. In three years, the business grew 208 percent. At MSU, the overall growth of the coupon book and market was 78 percent.

“MSU has the No. 1 (coupon) book and the No. 1 food court,” Giordano said.

“We have the biggest book, we have the most clients involved at Michigan State.…The ultimate goal for us is to provide a great product for students and to support local restaurants and the economy.”

Share and discuss “Company launches online food service” on social media.