Teddy bear picnic raises awareness

Jill Seaman, a student in the College of Human Medicine, helps James Zhang, 5, at the Teddy Bear Hospital and Picnic.

MSU medical students and local health professionals flocked to the 4-H Children’s Garden on Saturday to man X-ray machines, give eye exams and operate MRI machines. This time, however, their patients were covered in fur rather than flesh.

The MSU Children’s Health Initiative hosted a Teddy Bear Hospital and Picnic Saturday to raise funds and awareness for accessible health care for children in mid-Michigan.

The event simulated a hospital, with tents featuring the different pediatric specialities in the area, most of which are taught at MSU, said Jan Quiring, executive director of the MSU Children’s Health Initiative.

Departments, including cardiology, radiology and optometry, set up booths at the event to give check-ups to stuffed animals.

“It becomes a showcase for all of the physicians in the community to demonstrate what they do, as well as give children and their families a chance to come and meet their doctors in a family-friendly way,” Quiring said. “It takes the anxiety and fear out of going to see the doctor.”

Nearly 1,000 people were expected to attend the picnic, Quiring said.
Tracey Jegla, an MSU MRI technician, was operating a teddy-bear-sized MRI machine to show children what was inside their bear’s brains and stomachs. A 3-D ultrasound machine and X-ray machine were set up close by.

“If their bear can get through it, then they (the kids) can get through it if they ever need it,” Jegla said. “It’s just a fun way to help the parents and kids realize it’s not such a scary thing.”

Women’s basketball head coach Suzy Merchant and the women’s basketball team also attended the event.

“It’s a great cause and we’re here to support the community and get involved,” freshman center Madison Williams said. “It’s good to raise awareness about health issues.”

Quiring said children with health problems in the greater Lansing area sometimes receive fragmented care, often having to travel out of town to see specialists. The initiative aims to build a children’s health care center in mid-Michigan to bring all the different medical specialities under one roof, she said, since children that need to see a specialist often need to see more
than one.

“Parents and kids have to travel from one office to another office in Lansing and one office in Detroit and it’s scattered all over the place,” Quiring said.

“We feel having a children’s center here that will bring out doctors together and have families do one-stop shopping is the absolute best way to deliver care.”

St. Johns, Mich., resident Sara Parsons and her husband, Neil ,brought their children Hannah, 6, and Chloe, 4, to the hospital for the second year in a row. She said the kids love bringing their stuffed animals to interact with the doctors and put them through the MRI and X-ray machines.

“We have a sick dog with a bum ear and a cheetah with its tail coming off,” Parsons said. “This always leads into doctor role-playing at home for a couple weeks.”

Dale Frank, a Lansing resident, also brought his daughter Abby, 3, to the event for the second time.

Abby has a doctor’s kit at home and typically is covered in Band-Aids, Frank said.

“Usually she wants to go to the doctor instead of eat dinner,” Frank said.

Share and discuss “Teddy bear picnic raises awareness” on social media.