Data shows decrease in high-risk student behavior

High-risk behavior among MSU students is continuing to decrease, according to recent student health data released by the university.

Dennis Martell, Olin Health Center’s health education services coordinator, said the bottom line is that college students act responsible, as most make healthy decisions when it comes to drinking alcohol and driving drunk.

“Some still operate under the ‘Animal House’ mindset that all college students drink and all are engaging in sexual activity,” he said.

Every two years, the university participates in the National College Health Assessment Survey through Olin’s membership in the American College Health Association, Martell said.

More than 1,460 students took part in spring 2010’s survey online, which is administered by MSU’s Institute for Public Policy and Social Research.

About 97 percent of MSU students report not driving after five or more drinks — up from 90 percent in 2000. The data also highlighted 53.8 percent of students who reported engaging in sexual intercourse in the last month using a condom.

When students were asked what adjective best described MSU, most said “academic, friendly and athletic,” Martell said. About 4.7 percent of students considered MSU a party school.

Martell credits the results to a combination of Olin’s MSU Social Norms initiative and community and local businesses’ cooperation to enforce laws and manage the environment of a college town.

“There’s a million different approaches that we use to help change this misconception to help reduce the high risks and behavior,” Martell said. “What we have done since 1998 has begun to buck the trend.”

MSU police Sgt. Florene McGlothian-Taylor said students are getting the message of making alternative decisions before going out for the night.
“I think they’re (choosing) designated drivers (and) taxi cab services,” she said.

“Word has gotten out, and that’s a good thing.”

From 2007-09, drunken driving arrests made by MSU police officers decreased to 181 arrests from 263, McGlothian-Taylor said.Although it might appear that fewer officers are stopping people, she said students increasingly are choosing not to drink and drive.

“I think that the students realize we’re out there in terms of a police department,” she said. “(We’re) taking drunk driving seriously.”

And when MSU students go out on a Friday night, some might know the limits.

“(Students) put their school first,” said Derek Damian, a premedical sophomore.

“Most of the time, as long as the party’s not too rowdy, (police) usually don’t come by and break it up. And when it does get that loud it probably should get broken up.”

When about 7,000 students are new to the area each year, the social norms program and law enforcement efforts will continue to keep the positive trends alive, East Lansing police Chief Tom Wibert said.

“(High-risk) behavior should continue to go down,” he said. “It’s one of the things if you stop working on it, it can fall apart.”

Share and discuss “Data shows decrease in high-risk student behavior ” on social media.