Incentives to aid creative businesses

East Lansing city officials are hoping to boost creative businesses in the area by providing financial incentives for qualifying entrepreneurs.

Artists, musicians and other creative entrepreneurs gathered Wednesday at Spartan Dance Center, 217 Ann St.,to reenergize a discussion about the Downtown East Lansing Cultural Entrepreneurship Program launched in 2007, said Heather Pope, East Lansing’s community development specialist.

The program uses U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, or HUD, grant money to give entrepreneurs grants or loans to assist in the costs of opening a creative business in downtown East Lansing.

“The idea came out after the city of East Lansing found out that the Broad Art Museum would be right across the street, right here at MSU’s campus,” she said. “We wanted to provide opportunities for artists to come to downtown East Lansing and open up a shop or a gallery or have some workspace down here.”

East Lansing also is partnering with the city of Lansing, the Greater Lansing Convention and Visitors Bureau, LEAP Inc., Lansing Township and the Arts Council of Greater Lansing to start a Cultural Economic Development Plan, said Leslie Donaldson, director of the Arts Council of Greater Lansing.

“We want to be, in Greater Lansing, the Midwest’s most supportive and welcoming destination for creative entrepreneurs and innovators,” she said. “We’re in the first year of a 10-year plan.”

There are many avenues within the plan for creative entrepreneurs to receive assistance, Donaldson said.

The Downtown East Lansing Cultural Entrepreneurship Program has assisted two artists involved with the Grove Gallery Co-op, 325 Grove St., one of whom continues to produce and sell artwork at the gallery, Pope said.

Getting artists in the same place to work together is essential for future growth of creative business in East Lansing, said Tony Hendrick, a professional artist and Grand Ledge, Mich., resident, who attended Wednesday’s information session. Hendrick has painted many murals in the Lansing area, including one near Cooley Law School and another in Lansing’s Old Town.

“We get locked away in our studios, and we stagnate and we get fearful,” he said. “We don’t progress with our own work but you get into a community of other artists, you start engaging.”

Hendrick said he is interested in renting a location in East Lansing to hold painting workshops. Artists need to support each other by bringing a variety of work and skills to the table, he said.

“When you have a large community of artists, that’s really what needs to happen to sustain an appreciation for the arts because everybody has their own individual tastes,” Hendrick said.

Applicants must fall below certain levels of income set by HUD to qualify for types of funding, Pope said. The business also must be located within East Lansing’s Downtown Development Authority, which includes the area from Valley Court Park along the Grand River Avenue corridor to Hagadorn Road.

There are many creative businesses in the area but having more can’t hurt, athletic training junior Alyssa Schramm said.

“There’s a lot around especially with the new (Broad Art) Museum,” she said. “ I’m sure people would like more though.”

It is important for individuals and the community to have a variety of businesses, Schramm said. Even people who are not creatively minded should appreciate being exposed to arts and culture, she said.

“It brings out a different side of a community,” Schramm said.

Although East Lansing is not a major metropolitan city, it has the potential to foster many creative businesses, said Julian VanDyke, a professional artist and Lansing resident, who attended the meeting. Many struggling artists could benefit from this program, he said.

“As artists, this is not the greatest economic time of making money,” VanDyke said. “I always thought (East Lansing) would be a great magnet (for artists). For one, you have the university.”

Share and discuss “Incentives to aid creative businesses” on social media.