Interest in osteopathic medicine growths

A void in the area of primary care physicians might see some relief throughout the next several years as applications to the nation’s osteopathic medical colleges are on the rise.

Applications to MSU’s College of Osteopathic Medicine have doubled since 2004, from about 2,000 applicants then to 4,000 applicants this cycle, said William Falls, associate dean for student services at the college.

Nationally, applications have increased about 7 percent this cycle already, according to a new report by the American Association of College of Osteopathic Medicine. Applications will continue to stream in until April.

There are several reasons for the rise in applicants, Falls said.

“One is the general interest in osteopathic medicine, specifically here in Michigan and nationwide,” he said. “It’s the fastest growing medical profession in the country. Also, when you have a downturn in the economy, more students look at professional schools than in more robust economic times.”

Osteopathic medicine is a holistic approach to health care, which emphasizes treatment and conditioning of bones, muscles and joints.

Students in the field will fill the void that health care officials fear is on the horizon, he said.

“Certainly by 2020, we’re going to see a physician shortage nationwide,” he said. “The profession prides itself on training primary care physicians which are well-suited to fill that need.”

About 75 percent of osteopathic medicine students graduating from MSU end up staying in the state, Falls said.

“The college was created to provide physicians who meet the health care needs of Michigan,” he said. “Right now, there’s a vanishing breed of primary care physicians and we need to fill that void.”

Larry Morgan, a second-year graduate student in osteopathic medicine, said he hopes to stay in Michigan after graduation.

“MSU has a long-standing tradition of bringing in physicians to take care of the citizens of Michigan,” Morgan said. “A majority of students stay in Michigan and I would like to continue that.”

A high school experience working in the medical field sparked Morgan’s interest in becoming a primary care physician, he said.

“I started to see that the traditional medical model didn’t seem to work for a lot of people,” Morgan said.

“People wanted more than just a prescription and being sent on their way. They want a supporting and comforting, long-standing relationship with their physician. And for me, that’s what I wanted to do.”

Even with an increase in osteopathic medicine students, training those students will be a major barrier to overcome before the void is filled, said William Gifford, the director of medical education for Sparrow Health System.

“Applications are going up, but none of that will translate long term into producing more primary care unless the roles around how you train medical students change,” Gifford said. “We have a tidal wave of students coming at us, but no more slots to train them in.”

Students with heavy debt loads also will need incentives so that they actually pursue primary care, he said. Long, irregular hours and lower pay often are a deterrent to students who would rather work in a speciality field for double the salary, Gifford said.

“They look at the numbers and say, ‘I can’t work as a primary care doctor and work at the bottom of the barrel and live my life, pay off my loans, fund my retirement and pay for my kids to go to college,’” he said. “We have to face these internal problems in medicine.”

Share and discuss “Interest in osteopathic medicine growths” on social media.