Agriculture college considers cuts

Morphing 13 academic departments into eight, cutting 25 percent of administrative faculty and potentially shrinking south campus farm operations were major concerns for College of Agriculture and Natural Resources, or CANR, students meeting with CANR Dean Jeff Armstrong on Monday night.

More than 20 students gathered in Agriculture Hall to ask questions of the dean as he presented his plan for restructuring the college. After the college agrees on a final plan in the spring, the proposal will be in the hands of the provost, Armstrong said.

Armstrong emphasized to students that restructuring would help smooth over budget strains. Two-thirds of CANR’s budget comes from MSU Extension and the Michigan Agricultural Experiment Station — funding that was cut by about 44 percent in 2009, he said. Armstrong told students he could not determine the amount of money that would be saved by implementing the changes because a plan has not been finalized.

Changes, which could take effect as early as July 2011, could include reorganizing the 13 existing academic departments to create eight, essentially cutting 25 percent of the administrative faculty in Agriculture Hall and the Michigan Agricultural Experiment Station, Armstrong said. The change potentially could increase class size and will increase department size, he said.

“The most important message in this is that your majors, our contract with you, does not change directly by any restructuring,” Armstrong told students, although he said students could be affected indirectly.

CANR’s Student Senate hosted the forum to give students a chance to provide feedback and ask questions, said Kate Krepps, an agriscience and animal science senior and president of the group.

“It’s a time for the students’ voices to be heard, time for them to ask questions so they can feel secure about the future of CANR,” Krepps said.

Students voiced concerns about the reputation of programs, such as the Department of Horticulture, which administrators have touted as one of the best in the country. Concerned about losing credibility with a name change and restructuring, many students, including horticulture junior Joe Shear, expressed frustration with the changes.

“Coming in (to the meeting) I was not thrilled about it and I’m still not thrilled about it,” Shear said. “I understand that we need to save money but I think there are probably other ways to do it.”

A community atmosphere was something Shear was looking for when he chose his program at MSU. Shear said he wants the program to stay small.
“I’m here for a small experience and (Armstrong) is talking about making all these huge programs,” he said.

Working with other land-grant universities in regard to animal science farms will be an important aspect of the college’s future, Armstrong said. In the future, an MSU student potentially could spend a semester on a Purdue University farm, taking MSU courses and paying MSU tuition.

“I don’t see any future where we’re going to be able to maintain all the facilities we have,” Armstrong said of the south campus farms. “It’s all about managing in a shrinking and growing environment.”

Share and discuss “Agriculture college considers cuts” on social media.