International Education Week events occurring all weeklong

In honor of International Education Week, a nationwide event celebrating international relations between the United States and other countries, the MSU community will join together to celebrate diversity at the university.

MSU will host several events throughout the week, including the Global Festival on Sunday from noon to 5 p.m. at the Union.

International Education Week in the United States is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs and the U.S. Department of Education. The government organizations encourage universities and other educational institutions to hold events in celebration of international diversity within the United States.

U.S. Department of State spokeswoman Kristin Haworth said international programs at universities are an important part of international relations.

“It’s an opportunity to share the United State’s culture with other countries and other cultures and promote understanding between the U.S. and other countries,” Haworth said.

The event is intended to raise awareness about the opportunities MSU offers for international interaction on a daily basis, said Stephanie Motschenbacher, director of communications for International Studies and Programs.

“We basically think Spartans have an international opportunity every single day on campus,” Motschenbacher said.

“It’s not a week to (increase) international education, it’s a week to celebrate international educational (opportunities offered) all year round.”

At MSU, International Studies and Programs organized events including lectures and a free cricket clinic beginning at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday at IM Sports-West.

Cricket is a ball and bat game played internationally.

The week’s events will culminate with the annual Global Festival, which will feature about 30 different student clubs representing different countries, said Peggy Arbanas, a member of the Community Volunteers for International Programs, or CVIP, and co-chair of the Global Festival. CVIP is organizing Sunday’s event.

Originally, the event was started by CVIP to offer international students the opportunity to share their cultures with Americans, CVIP President David Horner said.

“I guess it was started … to help educate Americans about the different cultures students come from,” Horner said.

“The second (reason) is to give international students a chance to display their country and things they feel are important in their country.”

Artifacts from around the world donated by community members will be sold at the World Gift Shop on Sunday. Proceeds will go the CVIP scholarship fund, which pools money for spouses of international students to pay for tuition, Arbanas said.

Last year, the shop raised about $6,000 for the scholarship fund, Arbanas said.
Horner said the event is both a celebration of international culture and an educational opportunity for attendees, even other international students.

“Anybody going to an event like this, (everyone) is going to learn something about the international students,” Horner said. “Even international students are going to learn something.”

Share and discuss “International Education Week events occurring all weeklong” on social media.