Monday, April 29, 2024

Council approves rezoning project

A rezoning plan was approved by East Lansing City Council on Tuesday, although most attending citizens considered the plan inappropriate for the area.

The council approved a plan to rezone property formerly used by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan at 1525 W. Lansing Road by a 3-0 vote.
Mayor Pro Tem Diane Goddeeris was recused from voting because she serves on the Blue Cross Blue Shield Board of Directors. Councilmember Kevin Beard could not attend the meeting because of a health concern.

The plan will rezone the property from a B-4 to a B-5 zone, which would allow for businesses such as the pharmacy planned by Caddis Development Group LLC.

East Lansing Mayor Vic Loomis said the decision was difficult. He voted in favor because the project’s plans were factually sound and likely will be successful.

“There is a pretty strong case that could be built for somebody that had the financial capacity and desire to tell us they could be successful with this project,” Loomis said.

Some community members were unhappy with council’s decision because of potential traffic and noise in the community. East Lansing resident Don Power said he opposed the plan and was disappointed to see it approved.

“We’re disappointed, but the conflict will still go on,” Power said. “We’re not finished.”

Share and discuss “Council approves rezoning project” on social media.