Local event brings entrepreneurs together

Kraig Westfall, co-owner of East Lansing-based video production company Good Fruit, accepts an award Thursday at Dublin Square Irish Pub, 327 Abbot Road. Westfall was honored as an East Lansing Innovator of the Year for his work with Good Fruit.

Photo by Matt Radick | The State News

Local innovators were celebrated Thursday at the second year of Launched!, an event created to bring to light accomplishments of exemplary entrepreneurship in the Lansing area.

Launched! was held at Dublin Square Irish Pub, 327 Abbot Road, and strove to recognize both student and local innovators within the community.

The event began in 2009 as a celebration of the first- year anniversary of the Technology Innovation Center, 325 E. Grand River Ave., said Nicholas Chilenko, a principal of Nicholas Creative and one of the organizers of the event.

He said Launched! was brought back this year because it was an effective way to gather many local entrepreneurs in the same room to share relevant ideas.

“(They all have) great ideas on how to bring the community forward in the future.”

The event was emceed by former MSU and NFL football player T.J. Duckett, now a local entrepreneur and philanthropist. Other guest speakers were Julia Serazio, executive editor of Next American City; Chris Holman, publisher of Greater Lansing Business Monthly; Brittney Hoszkiw, executive director of Old Town Commercial Association; and Bobby Bringi, president and CEO of MBI International.

At Launched!, East Lansing Mayor Vic Loomis presented an Innovator of the Year award to Good Fruit Video, a local company that creates videos for businesses to increase their Internet presence, and a Student Innovator of the Year award to Eric Jorgenson, an economics and general management senior who has been involved in many local business startups and organized the recent event Startup Weekend Lansing to promote business building.

Loomis said this is the first time these awards were presented, but expects they will continue in the future. He said he expects Launched! to grow overtime and garner more interest of local innovators.

“I’m sure as the Launched! event continues and grows there will likely be more people attending,” he said.

“This arena of entrepreneurship and innovation continues to grow in the mid-Michigan area.”
After the guest speakers and award presentation, the celebration continued with music and entertainment. Guests were encouraged to mingle, providing opportunities for some students to network and meet other local innovators.

Mike Garauaglia, a finance junior and student entrepreneur, said he appreciated the opportunity Launched! gave him to meet local business owners and entrepreneurs.

“I’m starting a company right now — it’s cool to meet with other entrepreneurs and celebrate community achievements,” he said.

Garauaglia said Launched! benefited the community because it encouraged the movement of ideas and could help improve the economy of Greater Lansing and the state as a whole.

“It’s great to see the entrepreneurship movement in the community,” he said. “(If it) keeps gaining momentum, we can change the Michigan economy.”

Share and discuss “Local event brings entrepreneurs together” on social media.