Gymnasts look to improve season average

Redshirt freshman Taira Neal flips on the balance beam Friday night at Jenison Field House. The MSU gymnastics team narrowly lost to Illinois, 195.225 to 195. Matt Hallowell/The State News
Redshirt freshman Taira Neal flips on the balance beam Friday night at Jenison Field House. The MSU gymnastics team narrowly lost to Illinois, 195.225 to 195. Matt Hallowell/The State News —
Photo by Matt Hallowell | and Matt Hallowell The State News

When most sports place importance on winning and posting strong team records, MSU gymnastics head coach Kathie Klages has her team driven toward achieving high scores rather than the overall outcome of meets.

In gymnastics, team records are nonexistent, so the Spartans focus on earning the highest score possible, building up an average regional qualifying score, or RQS. Hoping to earn a place at NCAA regionals, they need to have an average placing them in the top 36 in the nation.

Currently, MSU is ranked 38th and needs to record an RQS higher than Arizona State and Southeast Missouri State, the two teams above the Spartans at 36th and 37th, respectively. MSU has a final opportunity to raise its average Saturday at the Big Ten championships in Minneapolis.

“It is still mathematically possible for us to do it,” Klages said. “We just have to go out at Big Tens and do our job and then see what happens with the other teams because right now, we’re 38th.”

Each team’s RQS is based on the top six scores recorded throughout the season. The highest score is dropped, and the remaining five — only three of which can be from home meets — are averaged to make up the RQS.

With the help of confidence built up throughout the season, senior gymnast Nicole Argiros said the team is very optimistic about its final opportunity to qualify for the regional meet.

“It gets us really excited that we still have a chance,” she said. “If we go out there and do our gymnastics — gymnastics we know how to do — we’ll be fine.”

Not being able to control how Arizona State and Southeast Missouri State finish their seasons, the Spartans must earn a score at least in the 195-point range to boost their RQS.

Klages has reassured the Spartans that there shouldn’t be any pressure on them because they’re not fighting to stay in the top 36.

“We just need to do what this team’s capable of doing and let the chips fall where they may,” Klages said. “We’ve got everything to gain and nothing to lose.”

Quickly growing up
Starting off the season with seven freshmen when the team is used to two or three, MSU’s youth made it vulnerable and left the season with question marks.

Because of various injuries the team suffered early on, the Spartans immediately depended on the freshmen for quality performances instead of being able to ease them into competition.

“They were going to be thrown to the wolves immediately from day one,” Klages said. “I think what has happened with them is they’ve gained an awful lot of competitive experience, which builds confidence.”

Despite the unusual start, the freshmen rose to the challenge, earning high scores for the team.

Freshman gymnast Dani Levy stood out in MSU’s home meet against Illinois on Feb. 25, earning career-high scores on the balance beam at 9.800 and in the all-around at 39.125, which was good for second place.

“It was actually a good experience for us to have,” Levy said. “It’s not what someone dreams about to start off that way, but it has shown us that we can work through anything and get to where we are now.”

A dedicated season
After senior gymnast Kathryn Mahoney fractured her C6 vertebra in December 2010, taking her out for the season, the Spartans dedicated their season to her.

Although she physically is not present, the team continues to have Mahoney in mind, and she watched the final home meet via Skype.

“Each meet, we do a prayer, and we always remember her in spirit,” sophomore gymnast Shanthi Teike said.

“Senior night (when) we had her watch the meet … was more of an emotional part to us because even though she wasn’t here physically, she was there spiritually.”

Share and discuss “Gymnasts look to improve season average” on social media.