Liebler sworn in as chief of police

While her sons, Julian, 6, right, and Alex, 4, left, patiently wait, new East Lansing police Chief Julie Liebler, talks with Veronica Balash after being sworn in on Thursday afternoon at City Hall, 410 Abbot Road. Liebler joined the force in 1987 and was named as the replacement of predecessor Tom Wibert, who retired in Oct. 2010. Josh Radtke/The State News

Police officers, firefighters, city officials and members of the East Lansing and MSU communities filled the seats and lined the walls of Courtroom 2 in East Lansing’s 54-B District Court Thursday afternoon to witness the formal swearing-in of Juli Liebler as East Lansing’s new police chief.

After a brief introduction from City Manager Ted Staton and a few words by Mayor Vic Loomis, Liebler took to the podium to take her oath in front of her family, friends and co-workers, as well as members of the community.

After being sworn in by City Clerk Nicole Evans, Liebler gave her acceptance speech, in which she addressed her past experience, her hopes for the future and gave praise to the people who have inspired her most.

“(I was) just reflecting back on my career, how I got here and who influenced me along the way,” Liebler said. “The transformation from being shy to becoming the chief. I’m still a little bit shy at times, but it’s been a big transformation.”

Liebler served as interim chief from October 2010 ­— when former Chief Tom Wibert left the department — until March 9 when she officially was appointed to the position.

During the time Liebler was interim chief, she faced numerous challenges almost immediately, including two shootings at Crossing Place Apartments, 3636 Coleman Road.

Loomis said he feels confident that Liebler’s 23-plus years of experience at East Lansing will help her excel as police chief.

The incidents that occurred while Liebler held the interim position and the way the department has handled them is a testament to her ability, Loomis said.

“The key to me is when you have a change in leadership but you don’t see the change — that means it’s been seamless (and) it’s been transparent,” he said. “And really all of those issues were handled under her leadership in a manner that they would have been handled by her predecessor.”

East Lansing police Capt. Kim Johnson, who works closely with Liebler, said he and the rest of the staff have full confidence in Liebler as a leader.

Johnson said she is a hard worker and her ability to remember the route she took to earn this position will allow her to work well with her co-workers.

“She (spoke about) her role models when she was working her way up the ranks here,” Johnson said. “Sometimes you forget about where you came from, (so) it was nice for her to mention those who made a difference in her life early on in her career.”

Liebler joined the East Lansing Police Department in 1987, working in parking enforcement. Since then, she has moved her way through the ranks with stints as an undercover narcotics officer before eventually taking the role of deputy chief in 2006.

Liebler earned her bachelor’s degree in park and recreation resources from MSU, her master’s degree in public administration from Western Michigan University and she expects to complete her doctorate next year. Along the way, she also graduated from the Mid-Michigan Police Academy and the FBI National Academy.

But what set Liebler apart from the other candidates was her commitment to the East Lansing community, Loomis said.

“She involves herself in her position, she involves herself in the community and she’s a team player,” Loomis said. “No one organization and no one piece of an organization is run by one person. It’s a team effort.”

Liebler said the reality of her position just now is setting in and though it is a lot of responsibility, she is up for the challenge.
She said she feels prepared because during her years with the department she had many experiences that helped her grow as a person, and even prepared her for delivering her speech.

“A little of work goes a long way to make up for weaknesses,” Liebler said. “Even speaking.”

Share and discuss “Liebler sworn in as chief of police” on social media.