Anastos will be MSU's next hockey coach

From left, President Lou Anna K. Simon, Athletic Director Mark Hollis, and the hockey program's new head coach Tom Anastos all have a laugh during the press conference announcing Anastos' hiring on Wednesday afternoon at Munn Ice Arena. ?In my mind I made my decision and he?s the only person I offered the job to," Hollis said.  Josh Radtke/The State News
From left, President Lou Anna K. Simon, Athletic Director Mark Hollis, and the hockey program's new head coach Tom Anastos all have a laugh during the press conference announcing Anastos' hiring on Wednesday afternoon at Munn Ice Arena. ?In my mind I made my decision and he?s the only person I offered the job to," Hollis said. Josh Radtke/The State News —
Photo by Josh Radtke | and Josh Radtke The State News

MSU’s new hockey coach will be former Spartan and current CCHA Commissioner Tom Anastos.

Anastos said in a release he is excited about returning to MSU.

“The expectations I have for our program will be to compete annually for conference and national championships,” Anastos said. “That was the expectation when I was here as a player and as an assistant coach, and I don’t believe it should be any different in my role as head coach. … I am excited to get started, to hire a staff, and to get myself re-acclimated within the MSU community.”

MSU has been looking for a new coach since Rick Comley announced his retirement on Jan. 25.

MSU Athletics Director Mark Hollis said in a release Anastos brings the passion needed to coach a hockey program like MSU.

“He can attract high-caliber talent and develop those players into those who are attractive to the National Hockey League. He places a premium on education, and the drive and desire to compete for championships,” Hollis said. “Hockey is important in the state of Michigan, and it is also important to Michigan State. We will continue to provide the resources to appropriately support this program, and to best prepare our student-athletes for their personal future … in the NHL and the business world.”

Anastos played at MSU from 1981-85, where he was a part of four CCHA Championships.

The 46-year-old has limited coaching experience — some time as a head coach at Michigan-Dearborn and as an assistant at MSU — but would be just the sixth coach in the history of the hockey program.

Keep checking statenews.com for updates.

Share and discuss “Anastos will be MSU's next hockey coach” on social media.