Adult Swim comes to Mac’s Bar in Lansing

<p>Bridgman resident Derrick King encourages patrons of the Ragbag of Jollification to get in line to receive free T-shirts Monday evening. The Ragbag of Jollification was  free carnival and concert put on by Adult Swim in the parking lot of Mac&#8217;s Bar. Matt Hallowell/The State News</p>

Bridgman resident Derrick King encourages patrons of the Ragbag of Jollification to get in line to receive free T-shirts Monday evening. The Ragbag of Jollification was free carnival and concert put on by Adult Swim in the parking lot of Mac’s Bar. Matt Hallowell/The State News

Photo by Matt Hallowell | The State News

When marketing senior Alex Zurowski heard about Monday’s Adult Swim Carnival at Mac’s Bar, 2700 E. Michigan Ave., in Lansing, he was more than willing to volunteer.

On Monday, Adult Swim, a program on Cartoon Network, hosted the Ragbag of Jollification carnival in the parking lot of Mac’s Bar.

Zurowski, a longtime patron of Mac’s Bar, decided to wear his penguin costume to both block the stage to protect performers at the event and “raise penguin awareness,” he said.

“Adult Swim is a fish tank of writers … that come up with great stuff,” Zurowski said.

Associate Promotions Manager Edward Poole said Adult Swim was excited to come to Lansing.

“We wanted to connect with the college kids around here,” he said. “We’re trying to go to new places.”

One major sponsor of the event was Pizza Hut, which gave out free samples throughout the night. The company encouraged carnival attendees to recall their favorite pizza moments for the camera.

Pizza Hut plans to choose a winner and recreate his or her memory for a commercial to air on Adult Swim.

Lansing Community College student Gianni Risper received a flyer from Mac’s Bar a week ago and decided to attend.

“I came out for a day of fun,” he said.

Risper participated in a number of games including Oh Yell No, in which volunteers competed for the longest and loudest screams, as well as Baloonicorn Blowout!, which gave participants the chance to wear a unicorn horn and jump to pop balloons on the ceiling.

The carnival featured the band Washed Out from Atlanta, where Adult Swim is based.

“Last summer I did a song for Adult Swim and they invited (the band) to play,” said Ernest Greene, Washed Out vocalist.

Risper appreciated the diversity of entertainment.

“It’s cool that bands come here from other places,” Risper said.
The carnival received positive results from the community, Poole said.

“It just opened up and we have a long line waiting outside,” he said.

Zurowski said he recognized many of the carnival attendees in the crowd.

“There’s a lot of people from my classes here,” he said. “I recognize a quarter of the crowd.”

Share and discuss “Adult Swim comes to Mac’s Bar in Lansing” on social media.