Saturday, May 4, 2024

Police arrest 9 at Spartan Stadium

Despite dealing with an additional 70,000 people for the U2 concert Sunday night, crime in the city was under control, local police officials said.

“From the perspective (of police,) there were very little problems,” East Lansing police Capt. Bill Mitchell said. “The biggest issue was the traffic.”

There were nine arrests at Spartan Stadium Sunday night, MSU police Sgt. Florene McGlothian-Taylor said.

The day of the opening football game last fall, more than 40 arrests were made, she said.

Ticketed offenses included five arrests for disorderly conduct, two arrests for violating MSU ordinances at the stadium, one arrest for marijuana use in the stadium and one arrest for minor in possession of alcohol.

Traffic in East Lansing was congested between 30 minutes to an hour and a half after the concert ended, officials said.

Despite traffic conditions, no car accidents were reported this weekend.

Cooperating with four other local police departments — including the East Lansing Police Department ­— helped MSU police deal with the influx of people, McGlothian-Taylor said.

More than 25 East Lansing Police officers helped with security at the concert, Mitchell said.

Local officials’ experience with other special events made preparing for the U2 concert easier, said Todd Sneathen, East Lansing director of Public Works and Environmental Services.

“We do have six to eight home football games a year,” Sneathen said. “We know what to expect and … we have plans already in place.”

The alcohol ban on campus might have helped reduce alcohol-related crime during the concert, Mitchell said.

Any drinking was done in bars in the city and did not cause issues during the concert, McGlothian-Taylor said.

Some die-hard U2 fans arrived at 7 a.m. Sunday for the concert and tailgating, she said.

Before they entered the stadium, most took the time to leave their possessions in their cars and ensure they followed regulations, she said.

“(The crowd is) to be commended for their behavior, as well,” McGlothian-Taylor said. “They did cooperate and adhere to policies and procedures.”

Share and discuss “Police arrest 9 at Spartan Stadium” on social media.