Dim Down program reduces energy use on campus

In celebration of Earth Month, MSU’s Office of Campus Sustainability hosted the fourth annual Dim Down this past April.

Lauren Olson, project coordinator in the Office of Campus Sustainability, said Dim Down is designed to bring about awareness of the amount of electronics people have on during the day, especially those they might not need.

“I like to hope that some people walked away from the dim down with a greater realization of the amount of electronics they have plugged in,” she said.

Ashley Hale, founder of Dim Down, said she based the program on the World Wildlife Fund’s Earth Hour, a global event in which participants turn off their nonessential electronics for one hour on a designated day to reduce energy usage. Her goal was to demonstrate how simple actions like turning down lights could make a significant difference in the energy used on campus.

“There are very small things that you can do every day that make a significant difference,” she said.

Earth Hour takes place on the last Saturday of March, but Hale decided Dim Down should take place from noon to 1 p.m. every Friday during the month of April to allow professors and faculty members to participate as well.

“It’s a great way for people to participate during the day,” Olson said. “With Earth Hour being on Saturday, it’s very hard to reach faculty and staff.”

Journalism junior Monet Stanfield said she leaves her television and other electronics on a lot because she forgets to turn them off. She said a program like Dim Down might help her become more energy efficient because it would be a reminder to turn things off.

Interdisciplinary studies in social science senior Ashiq Rahiman said he turns off all of his electronics after using them, except for his computer.If more people knew about Dim Down, they might do the same, he said.

By the end of the program, 5,747 kilowatt hours had been saved.

“It doesn’t sound like a lot but it’s a really significant energy reduction across campus,” Hale said. “It’s a very large campus, and so it actually demonstrates a significant difference in how people are thinking about saving energy.”

The highest energy reduction in the program’s history – 4.2 percent – took place on April 8.

Hale said in addition to significantly reducing energy usage on campus during the month of April, Dim Down encouraged people to continue monitoring their energy usage after the program ended. Some departments on campus have taken it upon themselves to have their own monthly dim down, she said.

As an extension of the program, the Office of Campus Sustainability also hosted weekly events in April to create discussion about energy usage. Some of this year’s events included a lecture given by a member of the Michigan Environmental Council and a crafting activity designed to teach participants how to reuse household materials.

Olson said the program likely will become increasingly successful as time progresses.

“We want to increase our numbers even further,” she said. “We’re hoping with the program going into its fifth year we’ll have a greater momentum.”

Hale said overall, she is pleased with the changes brought about by the program she developed.

“I’m really proud that this program has really taken a hold at MSU,” she said. “It’s something that we will continue even when I’m gone.”

Share and discuss “Dim Down program reduces energy use on campus” on social media.