Former Spartans play charity soccer game

<p>Former <span class="caps">MSU</span> football players Greg Jones, right, and Eric Smith celebrate Smith&#8217;s goal Saturday at Grand Ledge High School. Smith was captain for the winning team in the charity soccer game that was played to raise money for the Ronald McDonald House. Matt Radick/The State News</p>

Former MSU football players Greg Jones, right, and Eric Smith celebrate Smith’s goal Saturday at Grand Ledge High School. Smith was captain for the winning team in the charity soccer game that was played to raise money for the Ronald McDonald House. Matt Radick/The State News

The last time Greg Jones, Eric Gordon and Chris L. Rucker took the field together, they were playing for respect in a Capitol One Bowl matchup with Alabama.

The trio, along with more than a dozen other celebrities, including many former MSU athletes, took to the soccer field for a charity event at Grand Ledge High School in Grand Ledge, Mich., on Saturday for the first ever Kick for the House celebrity soccer game.

“Soccer is my passion — why not get a lot of guys out and have a great soccer game,” said Grand Ledge High School varsity soccer coach Scott Dane, who coordinated the game. “We might do it as a pick-up anyway, but if we can get celebrities and raise money for a charity, (it’s) even better.”

The game featured New York Jets Eric Smith and Brodney Pool, Tennessee Titan Javon Ringer, Indianapolis Colt Rucker, New York Giant Jones and other former Spartans, including Tim Bograkos, Drew Neitzel, Kelvin Torbert, Michael Jordan and Little John Flowers along with Grand Ledge alumni and MSU club soccer team members.

All proceeds of the event benefited the Ronald McDonald House of Mid-Michigan, which provides a haven for families with seriously ill children to sleep, eat, relax and receive encouragement from others.

Dane said the event came together in close to six weeks after he played in a charity flag football game with former Spartan Smith. After getting Smith aboard, Dane said he recruited most of the other athletes through Twitter and Facebook and relied on many of the Athletes to bring other players along for the game.

“Most of the credit goes to some of these athletes who were willing to come in and were willing to play in the game,” Dane said.

“You ask them to come in and play, and they’re willing to do it right away, which is awesome.”

More than 400 people were in attendance to watch Team Smith battle Team ChooChoo in a 90-minute soccer battle for bragging rights, which Team Smith took home with a 7-6 win.

Lisa Kohuth, an East Lansing resident, was in attendance with her two children Evan, 6, and Emmaline, 3, who were gathering autographs from the players before the game.

Kohuth said the game gave her children a chance to meet their favorite player Jones and experience their first soccer game, while also helping to raise money for a good cause in the Lansing area.

“We thought it was a nice way to donate to the Ronald McDonald House, and we’re big Spartan fans as well,” Kohuth said. “The kids love when they get a chance to meet the athletes, and we’ve never been to a soccer game.”

Although many of the players admitted to lacking soccer skills, players, such as Ringer, darted up and down the field for most of the afternoon, trying to help their team win the charity event.

“Soccer is a whole other type of conditioning compared to football,” Ringer said. “As soon as I heard it was a charity event for children, I was all aboard. I enjoy being able to take part in things like this.”

Share and discuss “Former Spartans play charity soccer game” on social media.