Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Three students sentenced to 120 day in jail for providing minors with alcohol

MSU student Charles King III, Lansing Community College student Michael Freund and Jordan Henika — a former MSU student not currently enrolled in classes — each were sentenced June 23 to 120 days in jail for conspiracy to contribute to the delinquency of a minor.
The students provided alcohol to then 17-year-old senior Brett Johnson, who pleaded guilty to driving drunk and causing the deaths of three teenagers and was sentenced June 8 to four to 15 years in prison.

Watching as 21-year-old Michael Freund was handcuffed and sentenced to 120 days in jail yesterday, family members wept and cried out to him.

Freund was among three students who were found guilty of supplying alcohol to teenagers who died in a car crash Jan. 30. All the defendants were sentenced to jail time by Judge Donald Allen.

MSU student Charles King III, 21, Lansing Community College student Freund and Jordan Henika, 22 — a former MSU student not currently enrolled in classes ­— left the courtroom in handcuffs and began their sentence today after being charged with one count of conspiracy to contribute to the delinquency of a minor.

Originally, the men were charged with selling/furnishing alcohol to a minor causing death and two other alcohol-related felonies. None of the men have previous criminal records.

Allen sentenced all three to 120 days in jail, although if they comply with the terms of their probation they only will have to serve 90 days.

“The collective actions that have brought you all here today have ripped the very social fabric of our community,” Allen said. “We have parents that are now burying their children, and that’s not supposed to happen.”

The charges were reduced to misdemeanors after Allen determined they were not legally responsible for the deaths of three high school students killed in a car accident after consuming alcohol at a keg party the defendants held.

The driver of the car, then 17-year-old senior Brett Johnson, was sentenced on June 8 to four to 15 years in prison for driving while intoxicated and causing the deaths of 18-year-old Taylyr Cochran and 17-year-olds Holly Bossenbery and Anthony Harris.

Friends of the defendants were asked to leave after the courtroom became too crowded. Only family members were allowed to stay, and they filled the seats of the room.

Ingham County Assistant Prosecutor Bill Crino, the attorneys representing the defendants and both mothers of Harris and Cochran asked Allen not to sentence the defendants to jail time.

“We have had three children, youths that are not going to be able to go to college this fall,” said Dalia Luera-Harris, Anthony Harris’ mother. “We have another one sitting behind bars now. … I don’t see how it would help any of us, or anyone else in the community, for these three young men to also be pulled out of school and put behind bars.”

Luera-Harris continued her plea, noting that this incident is part of a trend of underage drinking at MSU and in the community.

As she paused, Allen asked her what it would take to stop the cycle.

“I don’t know, your honor,” she said. “I don’t know.”

Holly Bossenbery’s father, Mark Bossenbery, said he can’t trust the defendants, and they are responsible for serving alcohol to minors.

“Do I think these boys should do some jail time?” he said. “Yes, I do. Something should be done to curb this underage drinking and having these parties.”

In addition to jail time, the men will be on probation for 24 months, pay $1,975 in fines each, have a curfew of 11 p.m. and complete 30 days of community service.

All the men expressed willingness to participate in programs educating the community about the dangers of underage drinking and providing minors with alcohol as part of their community service.

Both Freund and Henika are not allowed to go to establishments that sell alcoholic beverages for consumption. King, who works as a magician and disc jockey, is allowed to go to bars for employment purposes.

Freund, who has a medical marijuana card, is not allowed to use his card during his probation.

Before they left to serve their jail sentences, each man expressed condolences to the families of the children who died.

“There’s not a second that goes by that I don’t think and pray for these families,” Henika said. “Even though my lawyer tells me I’m not legally responsibly, I feel morally responsible for their deaths.”

Hopefully, the men will share their stories with the community and help prevent similar tragedies from happening in the future, Allen said.

“Even though I see that some of the family members have tried to move beyond this, punishment is a part of the fix, as well as trying to make sure that we deter other people going forward,” Allen said. “I think you’re in a very unique position to be able to deliver a message to people that should hold their attention … and hopefully end the cycle of these sorts of things happening in the future.”

Share and discuss “Three students sentenced to 120 day in jail for providing minors with alcohol” on social media.