Wednesday, May 15, 2024

America's Next Top Model comes to East Lansing

<p>Communication senior Kim Allen cheerfully answers questions posed by local judges Thursday at Eastwood Towne Center, 2820 Towne Centre Blvd., in Lansing. Lansing’s CW-5 television station hosted auditions for Cycle 18 of Tyra Banks’ America’s Next Top Model competition Thursday evening.</p>

Communication senior Kim Allen cheerfully answers questions posed by local judges Thursday at Eastwood Towne Center, 2820 Towne Centre Blvd., in Lansing. Lansing’s CW-5 television station hosted auditions for Cycle 18 of Tyra Banks’ America’s Next Top Model competition Thursday evening.

High heels of every conceivable variety pointed down at the sidewalk outside an empty storefront in Lansing’s Eastwood Towne Center. Security guards handed out green hand fans to keep makeup from melting in the heat.

All those in line were young women with one hope: to be chosen as America’s Next Top Model.

For zoology junior Samantha Grasley, it was a moment that had been churning in her mind for years, ever since she had put on fashion shows for her mother as a little girl and began clipping out photos from fashion magazines.

She scoured the site for more than a year to catch an opportunity, finally noticing the audition in Lansing last week.

“This is something I’ve always wanted to do,” Grasley said. “That’s why I’m here now — to give myself a chance to follow this dream rather than other ones I’ve tried.”

Toni Finelli, an account executive for Lansing stations CW5 and ABC 3, said many contestants from areas similar to Lansing have made it far.

“Over the last several cycles of the show, people from smaller markets like Lansing have made it to the finals,” Finelli said. “This is basically the way the show is finding their top models.”

She said the local judges choose the best contestant and put her audition materials on top of the stack when the packets are mailed to the show’s producers.

“The show is looking for strong personalities as well as striking looks,” she said.

Communication senior Kim Allen decided to audition on a whim after seeing a casting call on TV.

“I think it’d be awesome, and people kept telling me to try out,” Allen said.

Her audition, like all the others, included a runway walk: turn, strut, turn again, strut back and give a smoldering look and a hair flip to finish it off.

Then came the questions.

Why do you think you could be America’s Next Top Model? What makes you different from previous contestants on the show? Which of your physical features do you like best?

“I take criticisms to heart,” Allen told the judges, explaining she would learn from Tyra Banks’ comments. “I could improve week by week.”

Jennifer Schlitzkus, an alumna who graduated in the spring, said she hadn’t modeled since eighth grade and wanted to give it another shot.

“I’ve watched this show many seasons, and I’ve always wanted to be a part of it,” she said. “I love how diverse it is. It’s never the same type of girl; they always pick a wide variety.”

Share and discuss “America's Next Top Model comes to East Lansing” on social media.