Council to address dispensary application despite Michigan Court of Appeals ruling

A public hearing on the city of East Lansing’s first application for a medical marijuana dispensary still will be brought to the table at today’s East Lansing City Council meeting, although the Michigan Court of Appeals recently ruled medical marijuana sales through dispensaries illegal.

Because the application to establish a medical marijuana dispensary at 3448 E. Lake Lansing Road was filed last June — before the appellate court’s ruling Aug. 24 — the process to determine whether the dispensary can open its doors began before the practice officially was determined illegal, East Lansing City Manager Ted Staton said.

Previously, the application was turned down by the East Lansing Planning Commission because of its violations to zoning codes in the city’s ordinance concerning dispensaries. Staton said this recommendation likely would be the council’s main drive toward its decision.

The council also will hear a special presentation from East Lansing Planning and Community Development Director Tim Dempsey on the ages of children in grades K-12 in East Lansing, based on 2010 U.S. Census data.

Dempsey said this information will inform the council and school board members, particularly on an upcoming discussion about potential school merging and closures.

Share and discuss “Council to address dispensary application despite Michigan Court of Appeals ruling” on social media.