Fair offers study abroad direction

Premedical sophomore Issam Beydoun, right, and human resource management sophomore Alex Berekke take a look at the Study Abroad Fair Guide Wednesday at the Breslin Center. The fair featured booths and information on most of the 275 study abroad programs MSU offers. Matt Radick/The State News

Psychology sophomore Nicole Kuzmowicz would like to study in another country during her time at MSU, but she still is hunting for the program that is right for her.

To try and narrow down her choices, she attended the MSU Study Abroad Fair on Wednesday afternoon in Breslin Center. She left with information about a psychology program based at the University of Kent in the U.K.

“I’ve always been interested in other cultures, and it would be a great opportunity to study abroad and live in the cultures without having to move there,” Kuzmowicz said.

The fair featured booths from more than 270 programs on all continents and in more than 60 countries, according to the MSU Office of Study Abroad website. According to the Institute of International Education Inc., MSU leads the nation in study abroad participation among public universities in the U.S.

History professor Malcolm Magee currently leads the History/Social Sciences study abroad program, which travels to London and other destinations in the U.K. He said he encourages all students to study abroad because it offers experience that can’t be taught in a classroom.

Study abroad offers the average American student the chance to get out of their culture in a way that no other program does, he said.

“There’s something really cool about having students from Michigan who have lived in a little town of 500 (people) their whole lives arrive in a different country where people speak different and eat different foods,” Magee said.

Mike Zaborowski, academic adviser for the Department of Human Development and Family Studies, said study abroad offers more than just cultural experiences and knowledge. He said he believes the programs offered at MSU are essential when applying for jobs in the future.

“(Study abroad) gives (students) something really good to speak about in a job interview,” Zaborowski said. “It also gives them a much more broad perspective about what they’re going to be doing in the real world.”

Zaborowski was informing students about a program in early childhood education in bilingual and multicultural context. Based in Beijing, China, students work for 16 weeks with young children in groups to learn about the developmental aspects of early childhood.

Animal science sophomore Breann Schramski was at the fair browsing through different programs but said she felt overwhelmed with all the options. She said she managed to narrow down her choices to programs in Europe or South Africa.

“It’s kind of confusing to find the right program for me,” she said. “(But) I think going to those places would be really fun.”

Share and discuss “Fair offers study abroad direction” on social media.