New phone app offers specials on campus

MSU students now can get discounts at their fingertips as a popular coupon company has launched a downloadable mobile application for more convenient local shopping.

Campus Special, a national college marketing company, has partnered with more than 60 retailers and restaurants in the East Lansing.

Campus Special Online Sales Manager Stephanie Scott said the Campus Special coupon books have a large presence at MSU, and MSU is now one of 150 universities participating in the launch of their app.
“It’s been huge, especially at MSU,” she said. “We’ve had thousands of downloads.”

The app, which was launched in mid-August and is free to download on iPhones and Androids, features sales and discounts to local stores as well as the option to place orders online.

Scott said the app offers convenience for students who do not carry the coupon booklet with them.
She said she expects more people to move from the physical coupon booklet to the app, since the on-the-go process of using apps is where the future is headed. The app also shows nearby locations in real time, offering discounts using GPS.

Elementary education freshman Gracie DeLadurantaye works at the Student Book Store, 421 E. Grand River Ave., where the coupon books are offered, and said even though the store has run out of booklets, students still come in asking if more will be available later.

“Some people think it’s more convenient,” she said. “You always have your phone with you.”
The Pita Pit, 219 E. Grand River Ave., is featured on the online ordering portion of the app through a partnership with Campus Special, Scott said.

Store owner Nick Hurst said the mix of the coupon book and online ordering is proving to be popular.

International relations freshman Liz Lupher said she does not have the app but plans to use some of the coupons regardless.

“I always have my phone with me,” she said. “I’d probably use (the coupons) more often if I had the app.”

Share and discuss “New phone app offers specials on campus” on social media.